blood stains

"hurry up johnny," dally cried back towards his friend stretching out each word, "we're gunna miss our train if you keep up that pace, ya turtle." johnny just rolled his eyes and smiled but then picked up his pace a little bit to catch up to his long-legged pal. when dally saw that he had finally picked up the speed, he let a small smile be spread on his face, still staring at the subway schedule on his phone. moving a little faster, they were able to reach the platform of the metro right on time, for when they just got down the steps, their train had just arrived. not wasting anytime, the two boys scooted through the crowd and into one of the cars.

unfortunately, johnny, being a self-proclaimed clutz, accidently hit his nose on one of the poles in the middle of the car. it hurt badly too. embarrassed and still recovering from shock, he looked around to see if anyone saw his little accident. of course, he caught dally stifling a laugh. right away, johnny shot him the meanest look he could pull then went to the second-closest pole near the beginning of the endless rows of seats. everything was fine for a while. people chatted, the racing sound of the wind roaring outside. suddenly there was heat. just above johnny's mouth. strange. when he brought his hand up the source, he saw red. blood. his nose was bleeding. it must have been because he hit his face into that pole. stupid sensitive nose. soon, he started to panic and lay out the facts. he's in a public area. and his nose is bleeding. he had no tissues. and he had to sneeze. great. wait, sneeze? and at that very moment, as if nightmares had collided, johnny sneezed right into his arm and on the person in front of him. he stared in horror at the mess he had just created with his bleeding nose. the stranger had been facing him, but currently he was looking at the blood that now stained his shirt.

"i-im sorry! i didn't mean too, um--"

"it's fine," the boy smiled at johnny laughing a bit, "it's only a little bit of blood. let's focus on you. you definitely need a tissue of some sort, yes?"

"y-yea, that would be nice," was the only thing johnny could say to the kind stranger who was so cool about the mess. his face was probably as red as a tomato. he couldn't have imagined a more embarrassing situation. meanwhile, dally had of course seen the problem and right away gagged. he hated the sight of blood. soon enough he turned to stare out the window, trying to forget what he just saw.

"here," the stranger spoke quietly, still smiling, handing johnny tiny packet of tissues, "keep 'em, i know you'll probably need them."

"b-but they're yours I ca--"

"don't worry 'bout me. i rarely need tissues. go ahead and use 'em."

now johnny was more embarrassed than ever. he has to stick tissues up his nose just to stop the spillage of blood on this train. and in front of a cute stranger too. wonderful. everything was fine. but reluctantly, he did what had to be done to stop his nosebleed. he still couldn't believe how calm the stranger was in this situation. to johnny, this was a tragedy and he wanted out. he still felt a big tinge of guilt for ruining the shirt. gosh, why was he born so clumsy?

"don't be so red-in-the-face. it's fine. the people here won't judge you. i won't judge you. it's a simple nosebleed, we understand," the boy said suddenly as if he had read johnny's mind, placing a hand on his shoulder. johnny flinched only a little at the sudden touch, but it was enough for the stranger to take his hand away quickly.

"t-thanks," johnny heard himself respond back. what he said was reassuring but, he couldn't help but feel like all attention was on him. after all, he was the only person on this train with a nosebleed and bloody tissues stuck up his nose.

"the name's ponyboy by the way," he warmly smiled, "i know it's a weird na--"

"actually, i think it's quite unique and pretty."

"y-you do?" ponyboy had joined the red-face party now.

"i-i mean yea! i've never met anyone named that before. to me, that's lovely," johnny rambled, muttering the end of his sentence.

"w-well thanks. y-you're the first person who said my name was cool instead of calling it stupid," pony chuckled, "you never told me your name by the way."

"oh! i-it's johnny."

"johnny's a nice name."

"no it's not."

"psh, don't be so modest."

before johnny could respond, the brakes let out a loud screech. outside, people stood on a metal station, looking towards a river. the sun was setting at this time.

"well johnny, i'll see you around. keep in touch?" pony said quickly scribbling something down as the doors opened.

"wha--" johnny was interrupted as a slip of paper was placed softly into his hands. opening it up, there was a phone number. he smiled. ponyboy stepped out, the doors closing behind him. as the train slowly picked up speed again, both boys waved to each other. johnny looked out the door window until he could see the boy no longer. he couldn't stop smiling. glancing down at the slip of paper he pulled the bloodied up tissues out of his nose and replaced them with new ones. his nose was still bleeding, but it wasn't as much. he was speechless. he couldn't believe it. a stranger liked him so much that he gave him his phone number. on the inside, johnny was quietly screaming. screaming because this is the first phone number he had received from a person he barely knew. screaming because he knew he had to text pony first. screaming because maybe, just maybe, he'll see that boy again. johnny was so washed away in his thoughts that he hadn't noticed that they had finally made it to their stop. dally had to practically pull him out of the car, otherwise he would have still been on the train.

the two boys walked on a nearly empty street heading directly east. dally, stared at the blinding screen of his phone, only looking up for stoplights and crosswalks. johnny walked beside him, sometimes having to hold him back from stepping into a rushing stream of cars. luckily, johnny's nose bleed has stopped. staring at the ground, he fiddled with the half used tissue packet in his pocket and the slip of paper. his thoughts were like a river, rushing in his brain so fast he wasn't able to keep up with them. he barely knew what to think anymore.

"so," dally stated without looking up from his screen, "about that stranger.."

"w-what about him?" johnny questioned, cursing himself for stuttering.

"you like him don't you?"

"I DO NOT."

"i can tell you like him. johnnycake, my friend, you've got a crush."

"I-I DO NOT HAVE A CRUSH DALLY."

"uh huh. your stuttering begs to differ."

"i do not like him like that dally. you can fight me."

"i can't wait for your guys' wedding. i hope you make me best man," dally laughed, smirking.

"DAAAALLLLLLLYYYYY," johhny cried, annoyed with his best friend. there was no way he could hide his red hot face.

"i was only teasing you, kiddo."

"i hate this stupid family."

word count: 1,254

a/n heyyyoooo i don't really like this one but //trumpet noises a new one-shot woooooo! thanks tumblr for the idea lol. okay okay if you're confused why johnny says "i hate this stupid family" in end it's because, no, dally is not family, but they are so close that dally seems like a fatherly figure to him (remember, in our au he lives on his own). also, it's a jokingly thing, there are lot's of comics on for example, instagram who use this joke. so ye! hope you enjoyed! - p.j.