Chapter 15: How to Use Thiopental

Arthur looked in the mirror in the bathroom. His friend had helped him finding a nice white shirt. The nerves were practically sitting on the sleeves. He liked Jenny. He reminded so much of Gwen, and he missed her with all his heart; his beloved queen. But if he was to be alive now, wouldn’t it be all right for him to have someone like Jenny? 

   Merlin knocked on the door to the bathroom, checking on his friend.

   “Arthur, everything all right?”

   “Yes,” he confirmed when he opened the door.

   “All right, well the chicken is in the oven, just need a little more time and the wine is breathing on the table, just let it breath for some 5 more minutes and it’ll be fine for the chicken and chips.” Arthur nodded understanding. Merlin had plated the table just wonderfully, with Camelot-red tablecloths and candle lights.

   “This is very well done Merlin, thank you.” He said thankfully. In the same instant the doorbell rang. Arthur who was filled with excitement jumped to the door. And there, he saw a beautiful sight. Jenny looked absolutely gorgeous in the green dress. It showed her legs, but only on the front, but not behind her. Her curls were swinging down her back when she walked, and her eyes sparkled.

   “Jenny!” he smiled.

   “Hi Arthur,” her hands were gently folded. Merlin felt the want for privacy and tried to hurry out of the flat.

   “Hi Jenny, is Emmy coming out?”

   “Sorry, she felt a little groggy after the shower. She’s resting now I would just let her sleep.” A glow in the warlocks eyes fainted over the news, shrugged and wished both of them a good evening and left with a little disappointment. Jenny saw the disappointment in his walk. The front door closed, and snapped both of them out of the sad sight. Arthur invited her in, while opening the door Merlin had lighten the candles and taken out the chicken.

   “Oh my, this smells good!” Jenny exclaimed while breathing in through the nose, enjoying the nice smell of chicken and chips. “And you got wine, and candles. Arthur this is so romantic. May I pour the wine?” Jenny had already grabbed the wine bottle and poured up the wine before Arthur got a word spoken. The red fluid landed safely in the glasses. She gave Arthur the glass and poured to herself as well.

   “A toast.”

   “What are we toasting for?”

   “How about, Merlin for introducing us?” Arthur said cheerful.

   “To Merlin.” They both said. The sounds of wineglasses clinking appeared more than once that evening. Arthur hadn’t forgot his manners and acted gently and as a prince or more likely a king to his queen.

   “So Arthur, what’s you secret?” Jenny sipped to the wine.

   “Oh, err… let’s see. I can’t cook.” He laughed.

   “What? This was delicious Arthur.”

   “Yes it was, but truly I don’t know how to cook.” He chuckled again admitting Merlin had helped him.

   “How long have you known each other, you and Merlin?” she sipped some more wine.

   “Merlin and I met each other a long time ago. Well he worked close to my residence, and we became friends. Well at first he thought me to be a prat, which isn’t entirely false. But anyway he started as a servant, you might say, and then we just started to get to know each other, but I tell you that he can be very irritating that guy.”

   “So he was a waiter or what?”

   “I don’t think you would believe me if I told you about what really happened.”