05 | fade to madness

We can't let this fall apart.

THERE WILL NEVER be enough preparation in the world that can ease Sophia into the chaos that surrounds her

THERE WILL NEVER be enough preparation in the world that can ease Sophia into the chaos that surrounds her. One by one, fragments of her peaceful world is shattered with insanity. A life fulfilled with loving her best friends and falling for a beautiful woman has become a broken reality. A reality that consists of long lost siblings, fake dead mothers, a brother escaping a life of crime, kidnapped friends. Murder.

Dea's lips have been sealed tight ever since Ria left the room. The hum of lights and hospital equipment drift under her occasional murmuring of Daniel's name. Tear-filled eyes stare without a soul at those florescent lights as she mourns him. Mourns a brother who would stop at nothing to ruin the lives of those who got in his way. A brother who ended up being the result of his own demise.

It's sickening how unaffected Sophia is. Daniel was a terrible person, but he was Dea's brother. She should feel bad that he's gone.

Yet she doesn't.

Daniel is the reason Jared and Vivian are in the claws of a monster. The reason Ria witnessed something beyond her mental capability. The reason she lost her baby and was on the verge of insanity for months. They're all left with no option and no place to go because he couldn't stop moving the pieces in Ashton's life. Who would have guessed that his final move would get himself killed...

She groans and drags her fingers through her tangled mess of hair. It isn't right to think like this. She should feel sickened. Despite Daniel's actions, he was Dea's brother. She loved him with everything she had. Now she has nothing.

Ashton bursts into the hospital room, pulling Sophia from the hurricane of thoughts eating the fragile shell of her mind. Shadows cling under his eyes and his chest is heaving.

"Hey." Sophia wipes her sweaty palms on her legs as her brother gives her the most hopeful look she's seen in days.

"They said Dea can leave in a few hours," he pants. "They're writing her a subscription of medication..." He runs his hand across the air as he tries to gather his words. "Something to calm her down for a while. They're also suggesting she get some therapy as soon as possible."

"That's good. Then we can go back to New York."

He nods. "We can figure out some plan and work this out."

Sophia rubs her arm and glances at Dea as she's stuck staring at the ceiling. "We need to keep Ria and Dea separated."

"Why?"

"I don't know... They were speaking in Italian earlier. It was so...strange." Chills crawl over her skin recalling the darkness bleeding into Ria's gaze. "I think they're keeping something from us."

"Ria wants to kill Vincent," Ashton mumbles as if the concept isn't as alarming as Sophia feels it is.

Panic bursts within her veins and suddenly the slow-moving world is racing a mile a minute. "Do you know where she is right now?" she demands, closing the distance between them. "Y-you have to keep an eye on her, Ash."