Chapter 37 - That Which Was Broken, Part I

I'm sorry it's late. Pls don't hate me.

Everything happened quickly after that.

After handing over her fragment, the Other's influence on Ella disappeared. Her gaze softened, the hard lines on her face turning from blind hatred into grief. In a frozen moment, the weight of the world seemed to settle on her shoulders and she seemed no longer able to stand. Instead, she sat exactly where she'd stood, her attention lost in the sight of her fingers.

Unable to get a response out of Ella aside from a small nod or a shrug, Banshee left her and moved over to where Cryo knelt beside Melissa. Her fragment was in his hand, and after seeing it was still silver, Banshee breathed a silent prayer to the stars. In that, at least, they hadn't failed. This fragment could still be cleansed and saved.

But its previous owner wasn't looking as hopeful. Melissa lay still on the ground, so very still that Banshee had to hold her own breath to catch the rise of Melissa's chest. Without contact to her fragment, Melissa was no longer Manifested, but that only tightened the grip of uncertainty on Banshee's stomach.

"Is she okay?" said Banshee, taking Melissa's hand, searching for any sign of something wrong. "Why hasn't she woken up?"

"I'm uncertain," said Cryo. "The power that usually heals a Manifested appears to have cleansed her body of her physical injuries, but I can't find a reason as to why she is yet to wake, no matter how I call to her."

The uncertainty swelled.

"Let me see her fragment," said Banshee. Cryo obliged, and Banshee turned the fragment over in her fingers. "It doesn't look like anythings unusual with it." Her eyes flicked back to Melissa's face. "What do we do if she doesn't wake up? Take her to the hospital?"

Her answer came in an unexpected form. Even as she spoke, Speakers and other temple workers began to swarm the clearing, making it obvious that their fight with Ella hadn't gone unnoticed.

Banshee glanced around, half expecting to find one of the elder Luminarys standing nearby, ready to reprimand them for their actions before she remembered. Fae was still in a critical state, Golem was guarding her, and Harpy and Wyvern were clearing out the Serpent's nests. They'd been relying on Banshee and Cryo to handle Ella alone.

As medical staff attended to Melissa, Banshee stepped away, more than aware that she was just getting in the way. A Speaker approached Cryo and engaged him in a low-volume conversation. Usually, Banshee might have been annoyed that they'd gone straight to him, but right now, she was just grateful that no one was going to make her relive the memories still beating against the inside of her head. She wanted to go home and sleep, hopefully waking up to a sunrise that promised everything wasn't as bad as it seemed right now.

But she couldn't leave yet. She remained, hugging her elbows close to her sides. The tiniest smile crept onto her face as she saw Ella's previous hostage had been wrapped in a blanket and given chocolate.

That smile disappeared when temple guards approached Ella with a set of handcuffs and asked her to stand.

"What are you doing?" Banshee asked, walking over. "Why are you arresting her?"

"We're under orders from the High Speakers, who were advised by Harpy and Wyvern," said one of the guards. "Given the unusual nature of Ella's Manifested state, they felt it best that she be kept in a secure environment until further investigation could be done."

"You're jailing her?" said Banshee, incredulous. "She surrendered. The Other's hold on her is gone. Manifested are never arrested--"

"As I said," repeated the guard in a patient tone. "Given the unusual nature of Ella's case, Harpy and Wyvern advised the High Speakers to act otherwise. She will be treated with nothing but respect, Banshee, I assure you."