Chapter 80 - Ashes of Failure

Week 1 NaNo Vote Goal #2:  195

A few minutes later, Cryo emerged back into the sunlight with Olivia at his side.

His previous battleground was swarmed with personnel. Medics treated the guards for various injuries, and by some miracle, Cryo couldn't see any bodies covered by sheets. Police were arresting those that had attacked the guards. Though he searched for any sight of the crimson-haired sisters, his gut told him they were long gone with Ella.

Cryo kept close to Olivia as she retrieved her bag and handed over Aya's Lightblaster to the police. She'd been missing something since Adande had disappeared through the door. Her lips were pressed into a tight line. She was too quiet, too still. Almost like a fire had burned through her and left only ashes in its wake.

He stopped by the medics and shaped several pieces of ice for the injured. With those done, Cryo scanned his mental checklist. He needed to meet up with Banshee at the temple and talk to the elder Luminaries. He needed to start planning, to know if he could rely on Golem and DragonFae.

He turned to Olivia, who had been silent since leaving Ella behind. "Would you object if I flew you back to the temple? I find myself needing to speak with the elder Luminaries, but I would it far easier to concentrate if I knew you were on golden starstone, at least for now."

Olivia gave him a silent nod and a minute later, they were airborne. A short flight later, Cryo dropped Olivia off around the area where Ariel and Lucian usually worked and bid her farewell. She simply nodded again before walking off, her head bowed, her face completely unreadable.

Cryo's stomach twisted into knots as he headed towards the Starlight Hall. He knew that Olivia would take the loss of Ella hard, but he'd expected her to still have some kind of hope. To still be clinging to some positive thought.

He tapped his tattoo twice.

Two taps came back in reply, followed by his tattoo warming a few seconds later.

Cryo took a deep breath. If Olivia had reacted that badly to learning of his failure, he knew Banshee would take it twice as hard. She'd blame herself for not being there, no matter how good her reason had been. When she'd made that promise to Ella, she'd meant it with every piece of her heart.

It didn't take Banshee long to arrive. She bounded over a rooftop and arced towards him, a shadow in the sunlight, landing a little harder than usual before him.

Her face was solemn, her eyes downcast like she couldn't bring herself to meet his. She had the same aura about her, but unlike Olivia, Banshee's shoulders trembled. "They got Ella, didn't they?"

Cryo swallowed. "Yes."

Banshee just continued to stare, her gaze hard. "I was in the area. I saw the crowds and the snowstorm and I got caught up in the panic. I was separated from my Ascended. I wanted to transform so badly but I couldn't." She took a sharp, shaky breath. "I would have transformed in front of everyone if it'd meant saving Ella, but I couldn't. I tried calling out my words so many times, but I couldn't."

"Then perhaps it was for the best you became separated," said Cryo, placing a hand on her shoulder. "I couldn't save Ella alone. I need you by my side, Banshee."

"I failed you," she said bluntly. "I failed you and Ella and everyone else because I dropped my Other-cursed bag."

"We lost the fight, but we've saved her once before," said Cryo. "We will save her again."

"If we can save her at all." Something dark flashed through Banshee's gaze as she lifted it from the ground and cast it towards Kaladrel. Her shoulders stilled. Her chin lifted, like she'd found some vague certainty. "But... if I kill the Serpent, she'll be free of its influence once and for all." Her eyes flicked to the skies. "Perhaps that's what Starsong meant."