Chapter 47 - Passing Notes

I really feel like posting a chapter. Here you go. <3 

*+*+*+*

After last night's excitement and a lack of sleep, Jason was hoping for a quiet day of temple work and playing his violin.

As soon as he arrived with Olivia and walked into the skyshrine, he knew he wasn't going to get it.

A Shadowspeaker that he knew worked closely with his mother approached them before they'd even made it to the performance hall. They looked far more excited than anyone had probably ever been while working in close proximity to Aurelia.

"Olivia Shadowheart?" they said.

Olivia glanced to Jason with wide eyes before nodding at the Speaker. "Yeah?"

"The High Shadowspeaker has requested your presence in the Starlight Hall," said the Speaker. "I am to take you there."

"Sure it's not a trap to bait me into more temple work?" said Olivia with an amused, sideways flick of her eyes towards Jason.

"With the High Shadowspeaker's blessing, you are permitted."

"Well okay then," said Olivia, reaching for her Liaiser. "Just let me message Ericka so she knows I haven't ditched her with the costume making or something. What's this about, anyway?"

"The High Shadowspeaker wishes to explain it herself," said the Speaker. "I apologise."

"All good," said Olivia with a shrug. "Lead on!"

They followed the Speaker through the temple grounds without another word until they reached the edge of the Starlight Hall. Olivia glanced back at Jason, like she wasn't sure he'd follow, but looked relieved when he did.

"Don't you need a blessing or something to walk into the Hall?" she asked quietly, like her asking would make someone realise he wasn't supposed to be inside.

"I enter the Starlight Hall under the Cryophoenix's blessing," said Jason. "I cannot go to any of the other floors, but I may traverse the ground floor as I must."

"Traverse the ground floor as I must," muttered Olivia, shaking her head to the sky. "I don't know where you pull this stuff from sometimes, Cryo."

Jason's heart skipped a beat. "Cryo? I'm honored you think so highly of me, Shadowheart."

Olivia blinked, shook her head and then gave him a withering look. "Obviously I meant Jason, Frostsong. I suck at keeping my thoughts out of my mouth. You should know this by now." She shook her head a second time, taking the time afterwards to fix her starstone glasses. "Who even says traverse anymore?"

Jason didn't get the chance to defend his vocabulary as the High Shadowspeaker, garbed in her usual, full robes of swirling crimson and grey that dominated the space around her approached them. Her movements were quick and active, like a new energy for life had been injected into her being.

The Speaker who had led them to the Starlight Hall announced them. "High Shadowspeaker, may I present Olivia Shadowheart, as per your request?"

Aurelia's gaze far more regal and proud than those around her. She stood taller than she usually did, her shoulders back and her lips curved into an inviting smile as she turned to face Olivia.

Jason was fairly certain his presence was barely acknowledged. He walked to the message box and took out the note he'd left himself last night as Cryo, pretending to read it at such a distance that Aurelia and Olivia's conversation had room, but he could intervene if necessary.

"Olivia Shadowheart," said Aurelia, sweeping towards her, on arm outstretched towards Olivia. "I hear from Jason that you've been thriving under temple work. Would that be correct?"