14. jouska.

the conversation b e g i n s-

oh god, oh what did i say? let me start over a g a i n

Aoibheal is chaperoning a field trip the day Alex Summers calls to enrol his brother to Xavier Academy and she’s practically kicking herself for it. After she finds out, however, she’s determined not to miss his arrival, though it somehow slips her mind and she’s blindsided. It’s not her fault, she’s a teacher now, as well as the school’s councillor, and on top of it all, she’s late for lunch with Hank. They usually have lunch together on Fridays in order to relax and take a break to enjoy themselves, not that teaching wasn’t fun, but together they let themselves forget about the stresses of helping Charles run the school. Today hadn’t felt much different, she caught Jean as she passed Aoibheal’s classroom to hand her back a practice exam, but stops dead at the sight of three figures loitering by the stairwell. There’s nothing in Aoibheal’s mind but blindingly bright surprise, which actually has Jean wincing, but Aoibheal can’t do much more than breathe out an apology. With an eye roll, Jean reminds her teacher to close her mouth, which had been hanging open, and goes on her way to training.

It’s him. His hair is longer than Aoibheal’s ever seen it, but there’s no mistaking that this is Alex Summers. Mouth dry, she makes her way to them, Alex, Hank and a teenage boy with his eyes covered – Scott, her mind yells at her, this must be his little brother, you fool – rehearsing in her mind what she might say, how she might reintroduce herself. She’s got the gist of what she wants to say, but then Alex turns to her and smiles and all she can think about is how fast her heart is beating.

When he says her name, it’s with an air of relief, so she straightens her spine and fixes him with a smile that makes Hank think she’s trying desperately not to outright grin. A hug would be improper, so Aoibheal holds out her hand and they both pretend like it’s not trembling when he shakes it.

“It’s been too long, Alex.” Voice kind and warm, she watches the way Alex’s eyes crinkle when he smiles, wondering vaguely if this was all a dream. «It’s not.» Jean’s voice in her head sounds exasperated and Aoibheal manages a faint apology, but the student just gives a vague ‘it’s alright’. “And you must be Scott, it’s so good to finally be meeting you.” Turning to the youngest of the three, she greeted with a surprisingly stern look for someone with their eyes covered.

“Why does everyone in this school know my name?” Tone more annoyed than demanding, he turns to where he assumes Alex is. “Is everyone here a telepath?” Aoibheal has to choke back a laugh with Hank sighing good-naturedly.

“No, Scott, my name’s Aoibheal Cassidy, I’m a professor here and a friend of Alex’s.” Fumbling, she adds with a pained expression she does her best to hide, “but feel free to call me Blue Blood, most students do.” At the mention of her nickname, Scott makes a noise of surprise and Alex gives him a warning look that the kid definitely can’t see. Scott mutters something under his breath that sounds a lot like ‘so does Alex’ but that’s when Alex himself looks to Hank and asks loudly where to find Charles.

Easy conversation flows between them as they walks the halls to Charles’s classroom to where the Professor himself was giving a lecture. However, the class is dismissed as soon as he spots the approaching party. A grin stretches over his face as he offers his hand, voice warm and familiar.

"Alex! It's good to see you." Charles smiles good naturedly, and take's Alex's hand, giving him a one-armed hug.

“You too.” Returning the Professor’s grin, Alex steps back enough to allow Charles to look him over briefly with a critical eye born of concern and kindness; Aoibheal herself has been the recipient of that look too many times to even count, but there’s something comforting about it, and she can tell Alex feels it, if only by the way he remains calm rather than defensive.