Chapter Eight

Helena swallowed nervously, twisting the folds of her pale silk cloak in her hands as the carriage swayed and jerked beneath her. Opposite sat Sir Edmund, looking just as pensive and out-of-sorts as herself – but Helena noticed nothing. Every ounce of energy was focused determinedly on the evening ahead, and how best she would manage herself as she ventured out into society for the first time since the disastrous Christmas ball.

One might hope that, given they were meeting with different acquaintances this evening, the news might not have reached as far as their ears – but Helena was wise enough to know that gossip as substantial and scandalous as Mary's mishap always succeeded in making its way to the furthest corners of the county. It was naïve to hope that she could pretend the whole thing never happened; Helena was fully prepared to have the incident with Lady Merton raised several times over the course of tonight's theatre performance.

Though Helena had been most anxious to arrive on time, Sir Edmund had seemed determined to dally about so that they were now in danger of missing the start of the performance. What Helena had not considered, however, was the blessing in disguise arriving a little later could be. By the time she and Sir Edmund had taken their seats in the Earl of Alverton's private box, the other patrons sat expectantly waiting for the performance to begin, thus relieving Helena of any need to speak with anyone until the interval.

Unable to relax, Helena perched on the very edge of her red velvet seat, subtly assessing which members of society were in attendance this evening. Much to her relief, the Earl of Merton's box remained vacant – however, several others were occupied by an assortment of well-to-do families who had been guests at the Christmas ball, some of whom were clearly gossiping gleefully about Helena. Feeling an uncomfortable flush creeping up her neck, Helena returned her gaze to the floor of the Alverton box until the curtain eventually rose.

The annual Christmas Spectacular put on by the local King's School was a particular festive favourite of Helena's. Nothing gave her greater pleasure than to listen to fine music, singing and reading, and the talented pupils once again offered a variety of amusements for their distinguished guests. As her father often contributed funds towards the running of the school, Helena felt a particular affiliation towards it, and more than willingly supported these yearly concerts, the proceeds of which would be donated to the poor.

Losing herself completely in the performances, Helena had almost forgotten why there was such a sizeable knot of tension in her stomach by the time the interval came around. Within seconds, however, it all came flooding back, and her heart sank as she anticipated the painful conversations which would inevitably now take place.

Turning to Sir Edmund in hope of some support, she found him to be still completely lost in thought.

"Sir Edmund, would you accompany me as I speak with some of our fellow guests?" she appealed.

It appeared to take a moment or two for Helena's words to register.

"Yes," he replied eventually, blinking blearily as if emerging from a trance. "Yes, of course."

Rising slowly to his feet, Sir Edmund made to follow Helena out of the box – but just then, they found it occupied with two faces Helena knew very well indeed.

"Simon! And Sally!" cried Helena with relief.

Standing before her were Simon and Sally Godwin – Joseph's brother and sister-in-law. Having been visiting the Godwin family since she could remember, Helena by now regarded Joseph's brother as almost extended family – and she had never been so happy to see him. He had not attended the Christmas ball, but Helena had no doubt he would have heard about the mishap with Lady Merton. Unlike the other members of society, however, Helena knew Simon would not shun her; he would remain by her side as she suffered the gossip of Chester's upper class.