Chapter Twenty-Two

Helena could not recall the last time she had smiled so much. From the moment she accepted Joseph's proposal, the wide, childlike grin had never left her face – and by the time they arrived back at Louisa's house in Grosvenor Square, Helena's cheeks were almost aching from so much happiness.

As the carriage came to a halt, however, Helena's smile evaporated without a trace. In fact, the entire atmosphere within the carriage changed; the jovial mood of celebration being replaced with fear and uncertainty, as each passenger recalled the extremely fragile state of baby George's health when they had taken their leave that morning. With an anxious gulp, Helena suddenly found herself wondering what they would find upon re-entering the house.

Upon being shown into the entrance hall by Louisa's butler, Helena was met by a shrill wailing. Although slightly muffled, as if coming from some distance away, there could be no mistaking it – and it filled Helena's already elated heart with such joy she felt it might burst.

Without a word to Joseph or Louisa, who had just entered the hall, Helena bolted up the staircase towards the source of the noise. Up she hurried, flying past the grand ballroom, the library, the drawing room – up until she came to the storey where the guests were housed, where the wailing was loudest of all.

At the sound of Helena's pounding footsteps, the door to Margaret's bedchamber flew open, and a flushed, breathless Mary came dashing out of the room.

"Oh, Lady Helena!" she cried, taking her by the wrists and towing her towards the open door. "You will not believe your eyes!"

By now well used to Mary's exuberance, Helena willingly allowed herself to be pulled into the sunlit bedchamber – and the scene which met her there brought tears instantly to her eyes.

There on the four-poster bed, plumped up by numerous pillows, was the pale and fragile Margaret. Having not seen her since George took ill, Helena was distressed by her gaunt, lifeless appearance – yet despite all this, Margaret was beaming from ear to ear as she watched her little boy sleep peacefully.

"When did this happen?" asked Helena incredulously. Upon taking their leave that very morning, it had appeared George's fate was all but sealed; to see him sleep so deeply now, and to hear the rattle receding from his chest, was truly a miraculous turn of events indeed.

"It was sometime early this afternoon," Mary told her eagerly, answering for Margaret, who seemed both too fatigued and bemused to speak.

 "The doctor has just now taken his leave – and he, too, believes it very possible that George shall make a full recovery!" cried Mary joyfully.

Helena became suddenly aware of someone calling her name, and not a moment later there came the patter of feet as Joseph and Louisa appeared in the doorway.

"There is such incredible news to share!" beamed Helena, eager to put an end to their worry. "During our outing to Greenwich, it would seem darling George's fever broke, and so he is likely to recover from this dreadful malady!"

There was the briefest of pauses whilst Joseph and Louisa processed this remarkable turn of events, before they both broke out into exclamations of joy and wonder.

"It is truly miraculous!" gushed Louisa, eagerly peering through Margaret's door so that she might coo with pleasure at the sleeping infant.

Joseph hung back; his apparent unwillingness to leave Helena's side causing her face to colour. Naturally, this did not escape the notice of Mary, who began to look between the pair with an expression of understanding.