twenty » war of hearts

;

i can't sleep,

'cause thoughts devour,

thoughts of you consume,

i can't help but love you.

- war of hearts ; ruelle

fallon.

"And these. Definitely these."

I winced and quickly shuffled over on my bed to dodge the pair of white braided sandals - making a beeline for my head - that Adrianne had flung across the room. I grunted to myself as I leaned over the bed frame to pick the shoes up from where they'd carelessly landed on the floor.

"Okay, hey," I said to her pointedly, brushing off the few pieces of junk that'd clung onto the material of the sandals. "I don't need nine pairs of shoes for a two and half week trip."

And I knew it was a lost cause at the sound of Adrianne scoffing mockingly from where she was standing faced-away, inside my closet.

She looked at me from over her shoulder, lips twitched upwards. "You're right, you need ten. Do you still have those mocha flats? The ones that lace up?"

"Adrianne, I'm serious."

"So am I, those were really cute."

"My suitcase is suffocating, you just force-fed it two hundred pounds of clothes and now it and its unborn child are both obese."

"The problem's not the amount of clothes, okay, it's the amount of suitcase," she rolled her eyes jokingly. I watched with my arms folded over my chest as she made her way out of my closet to sit across from me on my bed. "You know, you're making it really tough to believe that you're excited for this trip."

I rose my eyebrow at her questioningly. Adrianne sighed.

"Are you good?" She asked, sounding as if the question annoyed her, herself. "You've been grumpy lately and I would've thought that the idea of going on this trip would bring out the zen in you but all I'm getting are 'tude and one-word texts."

I pressed my lips together tightly and leaned back against my headboard with my eyes trained on the suddenly interesting pattern on my sheets.

"Nothing's wrong," I lied. "I have a headache. That's all."

Adrianne snorted. "Right, good luck with getting me to believe that."