Chapter 10

Chapter Ten:

Seemingly, almost instantly, he was on his laptop again, the moment they'd stepped through the door Vance had disappeared into the bedroom to grab the thing. When Cyro saw him leaving the room with the electronic in hand he had to resist the urge to smash the thing against the nearest wall. He had restrained himself however, scolding himself mentally that it was his fault for not starting the conversation before they had reached the house but he had been too worried about Maxine's presence to ask the questions he really wanted to ask.

It was late now and Cyro was sitting on what may as well be called his bed as Vance was once again nowhere to be seen. It was exactly ten thirty-three p.m., they had been home for about a half an hour and Cyro had been sitting alone on the bed, thinking, for about twenty minutes. He had told himself that he was going to let it go and do homework or maybe just go to bed but it was eating at him and before he knew it he was walking into the living room where Vance was lounging on the couch. His laptop consuming his full attention.

"I didn't know your last name." Cyro blurted out gripping the back of the suede eggshell couch. Vance raised an eyebrow slightly, acknowledging that he had in fact heard him, but said nothing in response, still typing away. Cyro continued to stand there for a moment letting the truth of the matter settle in his mind. Vance could care less if Cyro knew anything about him.

The way the truth settled in was not a pleasant one, slowly realizing that he just couldn't take Vance's cold demeanor anymore. He waited, growing more and more angry with every second, his grip tightening impossibly on the back of the couch with every annoying tap of the keyboard. His knuckles were white, his nails were piercing the fabric of the furniture, he was done.

"Vance!" Cyro didn't recognize his own voice. He wasn't sure when his right hand had left the back of the couch but he knew the look on Vance's face was the most satisfying thing he'd seen since he'd met him. His hands raised in a surrender motion, his face filled with shock, and the laptop was closed. Cyro pressed his hand down hard on the top of the laptop, pushing it cruelly into Vance's lap, daring him to think about opening it again. Cyro raised his free hand pointing accusingly at the older man as he let his voice flow as low and as menacing as he could manage. "You. You will talk to me, and you will do it now."

"Yeah, okay." Vance replied, smirking at Cyro's obvious shock. He was confused at the possibility that it could be that easy. Dropping his hand from Vance's face he picked the laptop up hugging it to his chest. They stared at one another for a moment and Cyro half expected Vance to demand his laptop but he didn't, he didn't say anything. He was obviously waiting for Cyro to start whatever conversation he had just demanded they have.

"I'm just, uh, I was just really upset when I realized that I didn't know your last name." Cyro sighed suddenly embarrassed by his anger. "I just want to know who I'm married to, I guess."

"Okay, so maybe just ask more questions and do less laptop slamming." Vance stated getting up from the couch, motioning for Cyro to follow him as he made his way towards the kitchen. Setting the laptop on the couch Cyro flustered a little at Vance's statement but followed him into the kitchen anyways. He watched Vance shuffle through the fridge before pulling out a bottle of liquor. "You drink?"

"No." Cyro whispered, watching Vance pour himself a glass of whatever he'd taken out the fridge and then put the bottle away. He turned back to him afterward waiting for Cyro to start talking but for some reason all the questions he had wanted to ask suddenly scattered and seemingly run away. He opened his mouth but nothing came out, blushing red he felt like an idiot.

"I'll start." Vance chuckled, leaning against the kitchen island, it was the first time Cyro had heard him even slightly laughed. "My full name is Vance Lucas Ashton, I'm twenty six, birthday is November second, I'm a C.E.O. at a marketing company named Kings, and I guess my favorite color is probably turquoise. How's that?"

"Oh, um, that's great, uh, okay. My name is Cyro Lester Maxwell, well Ashton now I guess, I'm twenty two, my birthday is March tenth, I think my favorite color is like a really pale shade of yellow, and um I'm just a regular college student, uh but you know that, I guess." Vance nodded and then Cyro thought over what Vance had told him. "Wait did you say you were twenty six? Maxine's ten."

"I know how old my daughter is." Vance smirked taking a slow drink from his glass, eyes looking up toward the ceiling, Cyro braced himself for another smart remark as Vance continued. "I was still in high school when she was born."

"So did you and Renee go to school together?" Cyro asked nervously and Vance snorted. Cyro was sure his eyes had never been so large in his entire life and he was beginning to wonder exactly what Vance was drinking. It was odd enough that the man was actually easy to talk to but he was ridiculously honest. It wasn't that Cyro had pegged him to be a liar it was more so that he just never thought that he would be such an open book. It made Cyro wonder if the sole reason for any unhappiness that he had been feeling from their deal was actually just himself.

"So really fucked up story, basically I went to school with Renee's son." Vance shook his head rubbing his forehead for a moment before continuing with the story. "I was in that awful phase of my life where I was wondering if I liked guys and girls or just guys or just girls, whatever, I was dating her son at the time and she in attempts to break us up we slept together."

"You slept with your boyfriend's mom?"

"And my science teacher, she worked at the school so you can imagine it got kinda hard to pretend like it didn't happen. Her husband divorced her when he found out." Cyro paled, he hadn't been sure what he would find out about Vance but he never figured he would learn that. Vance was always so serious, it was hard to imagine that he hadn't just always been that way, to think that young Vance was a confused teen and a home-wrecker was just beyond Cyro's imagination.

"So was it like a secret affair or just a one and done?" Vance shook his head, chuckling slightly at the obvious look of surprise on Cyro's face as the blonde struggled to sit on the edge of the kitchen island. Smirking as he took another drink from his glass Vance moved back toward the fridge, grabbing another glass on the way, he had a feeling this conversation was going to last a while and he had no intention of drinking alone.