9 - questions

(phil)

it feels like its been years and nothing has changed. just the same boring old black box that he's trapped in. he can't see, can't feel, can't hear.

all his life, every waking moment and even when he's sleeping sometimes, phil has seen something in his brain. a picture, an image, a thought. this is the first time he ever recalls being unable to think. the first time his brain has ever gone quiet.

there is nothing but emptiness, and honestly, he finds it kind of relieving. to know that even the most chaotic of minds could calm down sometimes.

he would sigh right now if he could, but he still can't move, so he lets himself drift even deeper in this peaceful dark slumber.

***

after a few hours, he feels something change. he's closer to consciousness than he's ever been before. he focuses on waking himself up.

he can feel the thin mattress underneath him, can hear the constant beeping of the machine next to him, and it's music to his ears. he still can't move, but at least he's aware of his surroundings.

"phil," he hears a familiar voice.

and that is the push that sends him over the edge into a pool of full consciousness.

"phil?"

he wiggles his fingers before his eyes finally flutter open. it feels good to be awake.

"oh phil, you're finally awake. oh god, i was so scared. i thought you were going to die and it was going to be all my fault. phil say something, please. do you remember who i am?"

"yeah," phil speaks and his voice sounds so scratchy, especially to his own ears.

"oh my god, i can't believe... i was so scared. you lost so much blood," dan says and phil can tell that he's close to tears as he covers his face with both hands.

"how long was i out?" phil asks with a frown, voice slightly improving.

"since around 6 o'clock yesterday."

"have you been here the whole time?"

"i wanted to but they wouldn't let me. i went home for the night but i couldn't sleep, so i came back at like 6 this morning and waited until they would let me in. it's like 5 pm right now."

"what happened?"

"i-i think i should get a doctor."

"wait, i'm starting to remember." phil sits up in the creaky hospital bed and looks around the empty white room.

"the doctor will tell you everything," dan says clearly uneasy.

"i remember running and then falling down the stairs and the glass smashed and i was falling, but i felt so light--"

"i'll get the doctor."

"you were telekinetic."

dan forcibly laughs, "ok, how hard did you fall?"

"i remember you were trying to make the pen fly but then you couldn't and you lied to me."

"pens can't fly." dan suddenly stands up. "phil, i have no idea what you're talking about. i'm going to get a doctor. don't move."

"are you telekinetic?"

dan let's out a bitter laugh that lasts for less than a second. "don't be ridiculous phil. that's impossible. no one's telekinetic."

before phil can say a word, dan runs out of the room.

again, phil is trapped alone in an empty room, but this time the room is a drab white instead of a dull black. but for some reason he longs to go back to the dark one.

***

"how are you feeling?" the nurse asked, pressing a couple buttons on the machine next to phil's bed so that he was sitting up.

"not bad."

"that's good. you'll need to eat to speed up your healing."

she is short and dark-skinned, with pretty brown ringlets for hair and soft honey coloured eyes. phil feels like he can trust her.

"i-what happened?" phil asks her praying that she will be truthful.

"i thought the doctor explained?" she asks, holding down a button that makes a tray come out of the side of the bed and setting a meal on the tray.

"yes, but i don't understand."

"what about that friend of yours? the brown haired one? did he not explain?"

"he left," phil mutters looking away from the nurse's curious gaze.

"where to?"

"god knows," phil answers. since he's woken up, dan's been acting strange. he ignores all of phil's questions and seems adamant on telling phil that everything that happened was his imagination or a hallucination.

"strange..." the nurse says, pulling out some cutlery for phil.

"how's that strange?"

"well, when i came in to check on you, i noticed he was sitting next to you, crying really hard. seemed really worried about you. i thought he'd want to spend your every waking moment together."

"evidently not," phil sighs.

"well, i'll try to help as much as i can." she pulls a clipboard from a little compartment in one of the machines. "says here you fell down two sets of stairs and through a window. no major injuries expect cuts from the glass. easily stitched up, so you have nothing to worry about. you'll be able to leave as soon as they're sure your red blood cell count is back to its normal level."

"that's it? our flat is on the fourth floor, two staircases down would be the second floor. if i fell out a window on the second floor, shouldn't i have at least broken something?" phil reasons with the nurse.

"you have a point. you must be a very lucky man. you should praise god that you're still with us right now," the nurse says giving dan a warm smile. "now i need to go hand out the rest of the meals. eat up and i'll come take your plate in a while." she leaves the room, wheeling out the rest of the food to hand it to the other patients.

"i don't believe in god," phil mumbles to the silent room. "never did."

**a/n - wtf is happening? lol who knows, not me. predictions about next chapter? and vote to find out!**

🔮rachel