C.h.a.p.t.e.r.1.8.

We looked like a group of dumb asses.

Four teenage boys-- two of which giggled manically the entire time, one blushing and hiding his face behind his skeleton gloves (that one was me,) and one who just looked highly amused by the previous three-- all looking like lost puppies as we shuffled into the convenient store.

Mikey had called Josh and Matt immediately upon my asinine compliance to take a pregnancy test. Matt didn't answer, oddly, but Josh had practically sprinted to the house in excitement. He was not going to miss the opportunity to see me make an utter ass out of myself. When I finally pulled jeans on, hearing both of my friends snickering behind my back, I mentally cursed myself for agreeing to this.

"I don't wanna do this," I said, falling onto Mikey's bed and crossing my arms like a sulking toddler. "I change my mind. You guys are assholes and I don't wanna do this."

Josh slunk onto the mattress next to me and I glower at his entertainment. He should not be finding the insane possibility of me being pregnant so humorous. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and gave me a mock-sympathetic smile. "You know, if it turns out you are having Zacky's baby, you should name him after me and Mikey because we would be awesome uncles. Joshua Michael Baker. Has a nice ring to it, right?"

I shook my head, standing up and brushing his arm off as he tried to stifle another laugh. "Let's go do this," I said and jabbed a single finger at my flat stomach. "The sooner I prove you to guys that there's no baby in here, the sooner I can beat your ass in GTA."

My annoyance was replaced with nothing more than embarrassment when we finally saunter into the convenient store and Mikey leads us past a few isles in search of the pregnancy tests. I follow along, slightly behind Mikey and Josh as their eyes scan over the various brands and sales of the same damn thing; Expensive sticks you pee on. Seriously, some of this shit costs $20 for one freaking test! Mikey points to one brand that claims "it can tell you sooner" and snorts some smartass remark to which Josh cackles in return.

I glance nervously around the isle as if we're doing something wrong and notice the cashier is watching us curiously. I offer a small smile and feel myself blush before casting my eyes back down to the scuffed tile floor. I cross my arms, shuffling my feet and actually stepping forward to hide my body behind Gerard's, who only came along because we needed a ride, from the scrutiny of the woman behind the register. I notice that Gerard looks down at me when I do so, but I keep my eyes down, swallowing hard, before quickly glaring at Mikey and Josh. "Can you just fucking grab one?"

"We have to make sure we get the right one!" Josh exclaims. He's holding four separate boxes in his arms, studying them all to see if there's even a difference. "This is serious business, Frank!"

I roll my eyes and step up to the shelf, grabbing the cheapest brand I see and shoving the box into Mikey's hands. "There. Can we leave now?"

Mikey feigns shock. "You mean you don't want to take the test here?" He looks up at the employee at the front. "I'm sure that lady would be nice enough to let us use the bathroom for a few minutes."

I sigh, irritated, and turn to the older Way. "Gerard, make your brother pick a fucking test and let's go."

Gerard's eyes widen a bit in surprise-- probably more than a little taken back by the fact that I'm asking for his help this time instead of calling him an asshole like this morning-- though the amusement is still very evident in his shimmering hazel eyes, seeming to glow under the fluorescent lights above. He opens his mouth a bit and shrugs. "What am I supposed to do?"

"You're the one that put this stupid idea into his head," I accuse. "You know as well as I do that I'm not pregnant." Gerard simply grins, his smile seeming contagious and repulsing all at once, but I settle with the latter of the reactions and sneer at him, my voice dropping. "You're a fucking prick, you know that Gerard? What is this, middle school? You pick on me because you like me? Grow up." His smile falters and I can hear that Mikey and Josh are no longer laughing about pregnancy tests, but I'm not nearly done. "I almost lost my best friend and my boyfriend because of you and all because you want in my pants?"