Chapter One

Forced respect isn’t respect, but is fear.

Continue to fool the eye of the public, but one shall know the truth.

And I am determined to bring you down; and that is a promise I shall keep!

Shirogane walks on forward through the opened gates of the sealed kingdom. Some of the Men in Coats cut in front of him with a smirk, “Traveler are you? What business do you have at this kingdom?”

Shirogane blinks and pulls over his bag. He ruffles through it and takes out his arm band, designed with a symbol and characters meaning “north”. “I am General Kusakawa, Shirogane of the northern kingdom. I have been transferred here by the emperor of the north.”

Both men blink and look at each other, then back at Shirogane. “Are you-possibly- the son of Major Kusakawa, Kurogane?”

“If you think about it, there really isn’t reason of asking,” Shirogane passes them with little interest of continuing with the conversation; “my father was never good with creating names.”

                Navy eyes looked at the note he held in his hand and returns his gaze up to the set of numbers in front of him. He carefully pushes open the black gate protecting the two story home and walks up the small set up stairs to the porch. Shirogane knocks on the door waiting for someone to answer. Seeing no response, he searches around for a spare key, which happened to be under a planter. He enters the home and tosses his bags onto the sofa and jogs up the stairs to a long hallway with many doors. Shirogane counts the number of doors there and stops at the fifth door to his right. He walks towards the room and opens it slowly, seeing a large lump on the king mattress.

He sighs and enters the room as quietly as he could. Lifting up the covers, he smirks and heads back towards the bedroom door. He suddenly slams the door, startling the older man in bed and began to mutter. “I’m getting too old for this-,” the man looks over at the culprit and groans, “Shirogane! Why must you wake me like that?”

“It’s late,” Shirogane sits at his father’s side, “you should be up and running! As long as I’m here, I am whipping you back into shape!”

Kurogane laughs, “I’m fit enough to still be married to a woman like your mother! Besides, it’s six in the morning! I am old and worn out, I do not have the energy l used to have!”

“No excuses! I get that from Daisuke plenty of times!” Shirogane crosses his arms, “He uses his asthma as an excuse, but I have seen him run miles when running away from someone. Besides, mother stays with you because she wishes not to remarry.”

“Watch it,” Kurogane tackles Shirogane to the ground, “I may be old, but not old enough to be unable to kick your butt!”

Shirogane groans as Kurogane laughs at his son’s defeat. “You really need to start running, you are fat!”

“I think you mean heavy…”

“No, I mean your fat! Now get off before you crush me!”

“I should sit on you for that!” Kurogane gets up and heads for the restroom, “Okay, now that you are here we should get to the palace. Kane is expecting you, and he has some business he wishes to discuss with us.”

Shirogane nods as he stretched out his back, “Alright, but I have something to do first. I’ll meet you at the palace, father.”

Shirogane takes his spot next to his friend in the cool field of dandelions. He remembered some memories with his friend, Tamotsu and his brother, Daisuke, all rolling down the hill with laughs. Racing down to the bottom of the hill, all three would scream and laugh at each other; teasing the last one, who would always be Daisuke, who’d roll down the hill. Sometimes Daisuke would fall into tears if he took their teasing to heart or when he would injure himself in the process of rolling down to the bottom of the hill.