Chapter Two

“He is just stressed, love,” his wife massages his back tenderly with a smile. “He is still upset at missing Tamotsu’s funeral and blames himself for not visiting him regularly. Tamotsu was Shirogane’s best friend”

                Kurogane snorted.

“Come now, Kuro. He’s our son; you can’t stay upset at him!”

“Sometimes I wish he would be quiet and obedient like Daisuke,” Kurogane scooted away and rested on his stomach. Hugging his pillow tightly, “Shirogane is so stubborn; he wouldn’t listen to anything I had to say. I would tell him one thing and he’d do another.”

Ayame took her pillow and smacked it on the back of his head, “Don’t compare the two like that, you know the boys hate that. Remember when you made Daisuke cry because you “wished” he would be able to stand up for himself like Shirogane? What about that time when you wished Shirogane would be as generous as Daisuke? He didn’t talk to you for two months!”

“They were being too sensitive”

“They were six, Kurogane!” Ayame got out of bed and searched for her nightgown, “They are my babies, and I will not tolerate this!”

“Then discipline your baby then,” Kurogane growled. “Shirogane has had this attitude after our conversation with Kane-”

“Hush,” she began to undress. “Shirogane is just worried about Kane’s decision as am I. I’ve met Ohaneh this afternoon, and he seems promising. But I guess I’m just afraid of a change.”

Kurogane looked at her as she pulled on her nightgown, “What is there to be afraid of?”

“A civil war, just like in the east and I don’t want you or Shirogane to get hurt,” Ayame grabbed her brush from the dresser and began to comb through her black hair. Emerald eyes looked away from her husband, “Also, Daisuke is in the north away from us. What if something happens here and we leave Daisuke in this world by himself…”

Kurogane frowned, getting up and pulled Ayame into an embrace. He petted her softly, “Never think that way, never!”

Haruka looked at the small figure in her hand. The doll was raggedy and the stitching was coming apart. The buttons on it was scratched up and damaged making the doll looking old. She placed it back on the bed gently as if it would suddenly turn into dust if carelessly tossed. “I didn’t think you’d still have this”

Shirogane looked behind at her and shrugged, “It was the only thing I had to remember that you were a girl. Besides, you worked hard on it”

“Funny, but this looks so awful!”

“Well you did throw it at me or Tamotsu every time we complemented you in that dress you wore that day,” Shirogane eyed her. “How long are you going to be in my room? I need to shower”

“Go shower then! I’m not like your fan girls who wish to see you strip in front of them,” Haruka rolled her eyes. “Besides, there’s nothing to look at anyways”

Shirogane glared, “Get out before I drag you by your hair, I don’t trust you. And also, you’re a woman!”

“Then pretend I’m a man!” Haruka lay back on his bed with her hands behind her head, “After all, all the soldiers recently found out I am a woman just two months ago!”

“I forgot about that,” Shirogane rolled his eyes and went into the restroom. “You pretended to be a man to join. That was pretty pointless if you were going to be discovered as a girl anyways”

“Don’t hide you wimp!” Haruka laughed, “And it’s not like I chose to be discovered! Cliff entered my dorm without knocking when I was undressing to go to bed!”