Darrel Curtis

[This takes place when Darry is 14, when he's a smol bean lol]

"Hey Darrel!" I yelled as he walked passed me. He turned around searching for the person who called his name. I waved my arms. "You're not seriously going to invite him, a greaser, are you?" Paul asked. "Yeah I am, you gotta a problem with that Houlder?" I asked stepping closer to Paul. My father was very rich. Well he was at the top, very top, here in Tulsa. So practically everyone feared me. I liked it. "No, no, nothing at all." Paul backed up. I ran up to Darry. "Hey Darrel." I smiled. "Hey y/n." He looked around nervously. "Any chance you wanna come to Dairy queen with us? I'd say the Dingo, but we go there way to often." He looked at me, "Uh, are you sure?" "Yeah, why?" "I'm a greaser y/n. Greasers don't hang out with socs." "I don't care Darry. You're my best friend. You could be a pack of chocolate flavored cancer sticks for all I care. And still be my best friend. Now c'mon." I grabbed his hand and started walking. He stopped, causing be to jerk back. "No, I don't think this is a good idea." He said prying my fingers from his. "You know what Darry I'm getting tired of this." "I'm sorry y/n I gotta go." He dropped my hand and walked passed me. Two soc girls walked up behind me. "You just got rejected by a greaser. I told you we aren't supposed to associate with their kind." One of them said, her southern accent very thick. "Will you shut up Patty. I will have him, whether I have to set an old church on fire."
~
I sat in the booth across from my 'friends'. The only reason we hung out was because our parents were rich and wanted us to. Darry's been avoiding me. He avoided me all day today and yesterday. I'm very hurt at this point. I was playing with my straw when the bell rang signalling that someone was walking in. It was Sodapop, Darry's little brother. He used to come over and I would babysit. My parents didn't mind the whole greaser and soc thing. "I'll be back." I said getting up grabbing my milkshake. They muttered an, "ok." I walked over to Sodapop he was sitting at a booth. He was no older than six or seven. "Hey Soda what're you doing over here all by you're lonesome?" I asked sitting across from him. He looked up at me and smiled. "I'm not, I'm with you y/n." He was a bright little kid. "I'm 7 years old now y/n." He held up 7 fingers. But he was still a little kid. "Oh what a big boy you are." "So you like Darry?" I choked on my milkshake. Coughing I asked, "What?" "Do you like Darry?" He repeated. "Yeah." I said quietly. I did, I really did. "He likes you too you know." He fiddled with his fingers. I passed him my milkshake. I waved a waiter. "How may I help you little missy?" Said the plump woman cheerfully. "Can I have a cheese burger and fries. And, what do you want Soda?" She wrote down soda. I chuckled. "His names Sodapop." She chuckled too. "What an original name,  now what would like Sodapop?" He looked around and thought. "Can I have chicken tenders and French fries. With a milkshake. A chocolate one pretty please." He batted his eyelashes. The lady laughed. "Sure thing hun, is that all." "I'll take a strawberry milkshake." She nodded and hurried to the kitchen. "He does?" I asked. Soda nodded while finishing my milkshake. The waitress brought our food. "Yeah he does." Soda said, mouthful of burger. "Wow, I didn't think he would." "There's a lot of things nobody thinks of him." I laughed. "Hey y/n, you wanna come over and see Ponyboy. He's learning how to walk." "Sure." We finished our food and I paid. I left those bozos, 'friends, and we walked back to the Curtis' house. Lily (tell me if I'm wrong) and Darrel sr.(tell me if I'm wrong) were sitting in the living room. Mrs. Curtis rocking Ponyboy, Mr. Curtis reading a newspaper. "Oh why hello y/n." Mrs. Curtis beamed at me. "Hi Mrs. Curtis. Mr. Curtis." "Hello y/n." He shook my hand. "Is Darry home?" I walked over to Mrs. Curtis and kneeled down. "Yeah he's in his room." She said. I played with ponyboy's hand. "Hi Pony!" I said. He giggled. "Okay, I kinda wanna talk to him. He kinda left me hanging yesterday." Mrs. Curtis smiled and shook her head. "Boys." Her and Mr. Curtis laughed while Soda looked confused. I walked to Darry's room. "Darry?" I knocked softly. "Yeah?" I opened the door to see him sitting on his bed. "What are you doing here?" He asked. "I came to see ya. And to confirm what Soda said was true." I sat next to him. "What did soda say?" His eyes grew wide. "That you um," "That I what?" He said worriedly. "That you liked me." I looked at him. He was silent for a bit. "Is it true?" I asked. "Yeah..." He said quietly. "Well then, this is awkward." "Do you?" "Do I what?" "Do you like me too?" "Well that depends." I said. "Depends on what?" "If you care." "Care about what?" "The fact that we're are totally breaking social rules. Our friends might or might not hate us and completely ignore us." "Well kinda." He scratched the back of his head. "Then I'm sorry Darrel Curtis I can't be with you." I got up and walked out. Waving to the Curtis family and walking home.
~
I couldn't believe this. I walked down the hall and to my locker. I cried last night. I usually don't. I thought Darry would block them out and just focus on us. But he didn't. "Y/n!" I turned around to see who called my name. Darry came running towards me, bumping into a few people. "Sorry." He would say. "Y/n!" I stopped walking. "What do you want?" I asked annoyed. "Y/n I love you." "No you don't." I scoffed. "I do." "Listen I'm gonna be late." I turned and he grabbed me by the shoulders and turned me around. "Listen y/n I love you. I love you enough to ignore the whole greaser and soc thing. Because I love you. I LOVE Y/N!" Everyone was staring at us. "I, I don't know what to say." I moved his hands from shoulders and held them. "And you're not worried about what people would say?" "No, and I'll prove it." "How?" "By doing this." He cupped my face and kissed me. By now even the teachers looked at us. Everyone was giving us disapproving looks. I could care less. As long as I was with Darry.