The Arrival

BUTCH POV
I sit down in the mud clutching his body close to me in my arms. Looking into Sundances' eyes i see his pain. The suffering he's going through right now. I feel tears threatening to fall from my own eyes. Clearing my throat, i blink them away. I know i have to be strong right now, he needs me to be strong. I owe him that much.

''You're gonna be okay Kid. We've been in worse scuffles than this.'' I assure him. I try to sound calm and confident but on the inside i'm terrified. He probably knows that.

His hand moves to hold the side of my jacket. ''Butch..'' His voice is weak. ''I..'' He trails off.

''Sundance you're fine. You're not gonna die okay? You cant die.'' Tears stream down my face now. ''You promised me. You promised you wouldn't leave me.'' I look again at the huge bullet wound in his stomach, pushing the blood soaked cloths down on it harder.

''I'm sorry Butch..'' Sundance whispers to me, his voice broken.

My heart shatters right there. He always feels like he's responsible for me. Even now, as he's lying in the dirt dying, he still only thinks about me. His eyelids begin to droop. Blinks lasting longer and longer each time he closes them. ''Kid no, you gotta keep your eyes on me okay?''

He tries to give me a smile but i can tell he's in too much pain. ''I'm tired Butch.''

''Kid come on, you have to hold on. I need you.''

He shakes his head at me slowly. ''You're strong. You'll be okay.''

''No. Sundance you've always been the strong one. You have to be strong now. You cant just give up."

''It's too late Butch..'' His voice is getting quieter and quieter everytime he speaks. ''I..'' His breath catches in his throat. His tight grip on my jacket loosens.

''You what Kid?'' He doesn't answer me. ''Kid?'' I shout, shaking his body but he doesn't respond.

He's as still as a bone. I lean toward his mouth and could hear him breathing; barley. What am I gonna do; my partner, my blood brother , the guy who's had my back for so long is slipping away. He's the only partner I've ever truly trusted. The only reason I have been able to live this adventures life I've always wanted. I look into his eyes. They're not the usual bright blue, playful eyes i know. No longer are they glinting with mischeif. Now they're dark. Lifeless. Why did this have to happen to him? It's always him.

I can't breath anymore. I feel as though I'm going to be sick. I want to scream but I can't seem to make a sound. I think back to when we were younger, a time when we were happier. I cry harder. I blink through my tears and listen to something off in the distance. The Marshals were talking, it sounded like it wouldn't be long till they came barging in here. My eyes move from Sundance's face to the spot where his gun lays, right beside him. I pick it up and hold it to the side of my head.

''I'd have done anything for this to be different Kid. I'm so sorry.'' I choke on my own tears. Then everything goes white.