five; knowing

"You can go after this, Lou," Owen wiped the side of his mouth with the back of his hand, then hurried to grip the controller once again. "Promise."

"That's what you said the last four times, Owen," I rolled my eyes, but gave him a smile after. Eli laughed loudly at that, but stopped when he noticed his chance to shoot a goal in the video game that showed on the screen.

Rainy still hadn't come back downstairs, saddening me more each minute that passed. The water of the shower had shut off at least two hours ago, making me realize just how long I'd been here. However, I couldn't stop myself from wondering what she was doing up there all this time.

Eli and Owen didn't seem fased by her disappearance, though. They just continued playing FIFA, the roar of artifical spectadors in the graphic stadium clouding my thoughts.

I didn't want to do anything more than to just walk up those stairs to check on the mysterious girl, but it wasn't my place to do so. Instead, I slipped my phone out of my pocket and played on a lame app to pass the time.

Everything seemed to fade away as I focused in on the game; that is, until Eli through the controller into my lap, temporarily knocking the breath out of me. "I'll  be right back. Play for me, Louis. I'm putting my trust in you not to let this nutter win," he gave me a playful glare before running up the stairs, skipping every other step.

"Alright, Owen, prepare to be beaten," I laughed menacingly, causing the ten year old to turn around and give me a evil look.

His thumbs slid across the controller sticks as he whipped his player around mine; the animated man swerved across the field and kicked the ball between my defense player's legs. A gasp fell from my lips as I tried to get my other defenders back near the goal.

Stealing a quick glance a Owen, I saw a familiar glint to his eyes as his bottom lip was taken in by his teeth. His controller made loud noises whenever he would jerk hard on the stick or stab viciously at the buttons, worrying me that he might actually break the thing.

While distracted, I couldn't avert my eyes back to the TV quick enough to catch Owen's goal. "Woo!" he jumped up, screaming. He lifted his shirt above his head, showing off his bare stomach. I chuckled and reached to pull down the white tee, but he was spinning in circles, making it nearly impossible to lay a hand on him.

"What're you doing, mister?" A mid-age woman appeared in the doorway with grocery bags hanging from her arms. Her hair was an ashy color, gray streaks framing her face. The deep blue of her eyes was easily linked to Rainy's exotic eye color. After making that connection, everything seemed to click and I felt as though I was actually looking at an older Lorraine.

"Oh, hey mom!" Owen pulled his shirt down and plopped back down on the couch.

She shook her head, "Owen, would you mind introducing your friend?"

My face heated up and I suddenly felt rude for not introducing myself. I stood up, walking over to the woman and taking some bags from her hand, "I'm Louis, Rainy's friend."

She looked taken aback for a moment before smiling gratefully and leading me into the kitchen. After sitting the bags down on the countertop, she spoke, "I'm Lillian, Lily for short." Then, facing the living room, she called out, "Owen, where's your brother?"

"Right here, mom," Eli suddenly bound down the steps, kissing his mother on the cheek as he passed her on his way to the fridge.

"Help me put these away, will you?" She sighed and pushed her hair out of her face. I watched as she slipped off her shoes and hung up her coat on the bar stool. I could tell she worked as either a nurse or pediatrician from the colorful v-neck shirt and typical black pants she wore.