fourteen; welcoming

I watched my fork slice through the little remnants of my piece of cake, resonating a deep screeching noise that pierced through the thick feeling of loneliness in the kitchen. Occasionally stabbing a leftover chunk, my eyes moved numbly across the dim-lighted room while my hand subconsciously scratched at my brow.

A ten year old girl might have found the situation quite eerie with a dead-looking man sitting dazed in a barely lit room, silence blanketing the house at this hour with the exception of the low tick of a household grandfather clock that rang in the living room.

But, I couldn't even linger on the fact that my position was extremely sketchy. No, my mind was completely engrossed in the freckled girl who I missed terribly. I didn't think that after one kiss, my brain would only think of her story, my eyes only seeing the exotic color of her's, my nose smelling solely the scent of her coconut shampoo, and my lips purely speaking her name. And at this time, my ears rung with the sound of her exhale when our lips parted.

"Louis?"

My head snapped to the sudden sound of my mother's voice. She was leaning against the door frame with her hands supporting her very pregnant stomach.

"Lou, what are you-"

"Am I insane? Because I'm pretty sure I'm going insane."

Her brows furrowed deeper and she started to waddle toward my place on the bar stool, "Babe, what are you talking about? Is that my wine? Louis- are you drinking?"

I didn't answer, just watched her as she analyzed my surroundings. She picked up the wine bottle that sat beside my plate and shook it, then dumped it over the sink. It was empty.

"I'm sorry."

Shaking her head, she took the glass bottle and opened the trash can, only to find more bottles. Her eyes went wide and she looked back at me. The crease between her eyebrows was deeper now, and the natural pink in her cheeks became red with frustration. She cocked one leg out and rested her hand on her hip, lips pointed.

"I'm sorry," I repeated.

"Explain to me what you're doing up at two in the morning on Christmas drinking my wedding wine collection."

"Sor-," I hiccuped, "-ry."

I watched her shake her head and look closely at the bottle, "Just go to bed, Louis."

I nodded and put my fork down before sulking up the stairs to my bedroom. Closing the door behind me, I threw myself onto the bed and blindly peeled off each piece of clothing until I was bare.

It seemed like I had only been sleeping for a couple seconds when someone barged into my room, the light from the hall streaming in through the doorway and blinding my eyes. I peeked through one eyelid and saw Lottie standing there frantically.

"Jesus, Lottie," I hurried and covered my lower half with a blanket.

She bounced on her feet and chewed her bottom lip, "I think Mom's in labor."

"What?" I popped up on my elbow.

She weaved her hands into her hair and pulled at the roots, "She's groaning really loudly and I've heard her footsteps so many times, Lou. Hurry!"

I was already sitting up in bed while still managing to keep my crotch covered, my head dizzy with sudden movement and the amount of alcohol still in my system. "I- turn around."

She whimpered, but swiveled around and bounced on her feet more. As quickly as I could, I pulled on the pair of boxers that were carelessly thrown to the ground. "Lottie, go get your sisters in the car. I'll get Mom."