fifteen; visiting

From: Rainy

about 15 minutes away, you sure i'm not intruding?

My throat closed, my palms started to sweat, and I could hear my heartbeat in my ears. I didn't think of the nervousness I would feel when she actually did come to visit. We hadn't necessarily interacted since our kiss, and I prayed that it wouldn't be awkward or weird.

I rubbed my hands against my forehead as I thought of how I was a twenty-two year old guy who was worried about the awkwardness around the girl he likes. This was a big step for us as we didn't actually hang out much back in Chicago, and now she is travelling to see me. My cheeks heated at the thought.

The babies gurgled in front of me, I kneeled next to them on the ground. "Best behavior you two," I pointed an accusing finger at them. They stared blankly ahead and made more noises like babies do.

Besides Dee and Ernie, I had the house to myself while my mom ran errands and the girls were back at school after their winter break. I needed to clean, so I left the babies on the floor under the play arch with little animals dangling from it. Doris reached up to fiddle with them while Ernie just stared into space. They were one week old now, and I needed to go back to Chicago soon for the second semester of college.

I rushed around the living room, folding blankets and clearing off the coffee table. I stopped at the bathroom to get an air freshener to spray over the room just in case. The fire in the fireplace was giving off a soft glow, so I threw in another piece of wood and poked at it a few times.

Sending a text to my mother, I told her that I was going to have someone over and hope she wouldn't mind.

By the time I brushed my teeth again and changed into a cleaner white tee shirt, the doorbell was ringing. I ran my fingers through my hair one last time before calmly walking towards the door. The cold air from outside burned my face when I finally swung it open.

She stood there; her cheeks were a healthy red from the cold and her nose had a pink glow. She gave me a wide smile and a tiny wave of her hand.

"Hello, sunshine." I grinned, before swinging my hand towards the foyer, "It's cold out there, isn't it? Come in."

She nodded her head to me and stepped around me, then proceeded to unwrap her scarf from around her neck. She sat her boots by the door neatly and hung her coat on the rack.

"So, what have you been up to? How was your Christmas?" I smiled, leading her into the living room.

She signed two symbols, "Very good."

"I'm glad, then," I eyed the babies as I kept walking, Rainy's footsteps trailing behind me. I turned to her and swung an arm in the general direction of Doris and Ernie, saying, "We had to be joined by these rascals, hope you don't mind." Though, I knew she, of course, wouldn't mind as that was one of her main reasons for coming; though, I hoped I had a part in that too. And even if she did, she was too polite to actually tell me.

The prettiest smile broke out onto her face and she bent down on her knees in front of them. They stared blankly at her and made gurgling noises, only making her smile wider. Once she ran her fingers over their tummies, Doris let out stranger babbles and smiled with her empty gums. Ernie turned his head to look over at the fire and didn't pay any attention.

"They might not interact much. It's their nap time soon, I think," I looked over on the clock that hung above the fireplace and nodded to myself. "C'mon little ones, you'll see her later," I spoke in a soft voice, picking up Ernie first and balancing him before going back for Doris. I looked to see her already in Rainy's arms, smiling widely whenever Rainy would tap her nose.