Symptoms

There was nothing more she could do to save him.

By the time her ears captured the whispering sound of his name in the middle the newest infected, her heart already warned her to be prepared for the worst. Her hands started to shake, her throat went dry and her feet were begging her not to get any closer to the ninjas that had just returned from a mission with the virus in their bodies. They were sent to bring help but no other village accepted Konoha's request. Their mission was supposed to have brought hope to the people and to the medics, but all it brought was despair. Despair and the most terrifying news the pink haired medic could have heard in the middle of the chaos. A simple sentence that made her insides tremble and all of her strings snap. A simple sentence that left her groundless.

" Uchiha Sasuke is infected."

She read the man's lips. She heard his voice and saw the horrified reactions on their faces, but she still refused to believe. It could only be her tired mind playing tricks on her, she thought. They had been together just 2 days before, there was no way he could have gone away in a mission and returned without her knowing about. It could not be true. He could not be sick. He was not sick, or at least that was what she kept repeating to herself while she tried to focus on healing people. Those words were the only things that were keeping the rosette from dropping everything and returning home to check on him. Those were the only words keeping her from going mad. Unfortunately, those words didn't work forever.

When her eyes caught the sight of the next infection seized patient passing through the hospital doors, Sakura couldn't hold back her impulses anymore. His hair was also black and his eyes were also suffering. He was also around his twenties and if not for the different physiognomy, he could trick half of the village hidden in the Leaves. That boy certainly resembled Uchiha Sasuke, and if that wasn't a sign, she thought, then she certainly wouldn't be able to identify those kind of things anymore. That boy was sending her home to her biggest treasure. He was telling her to run to save her most precious life. And that was what she did.

The only thing the pink haired Uchiha did before leaving the hospital was telling her blonde best friend to hang on until she returned. Ino was the only one on whom she could count on and that was why she chose to let the florist know about her latest premonition. And so, with that done, Sakura ran as fast as possible to her own house. She pumped chakra to her feet so she could speed up and she made sure to jump through all of the buildings that stood in between her and the love of her life. The time spent on that short path didn't surpass 5 minutes, but to the pinkette it felt like an eternity. An eternity in which she was still trying to convince herself that all of her worries would be gone once she entered her house and saw him like she usually does, with those dark pearls of his, looking tenderly at her and offering her a warm welcome.

[She reached her street.]

He would be there and in the exact same way of when she left 2 days before.

[She reached the entrance of her house.]

He was going to be okay.

[She opened the door and saw her husband.]

But that was a mere illusion.

At the moment her emerald eyes connected to him, tears started to stream down her face and her hands went to cover her horrified expression. Her knees succumbed to despair and a scream echoed around her house.

"NO!"

The medic clenched her fists and hit the ground as hard as she could as she cried her heart out. Lying just some meters in front of her was the man she calls husband. That gorgeous man that has shared unforgettable moments with her was on the ground, struggling to breath and surrounded by his own vomit. Sasuke was infected, it was true. He was infected by that virus that was destroying her confidence and killing all the happiness she had fought to achieve. That virus was hurting him. And there was nothing she could do to save him. Nothing to take that virus off of him. Nothing to heal him completely. However, she couldn't simply stay there, crying and screaming, while he agonized in front of her. She could not let him die suffering like that. She could not let him go like that, without trying everything.