Cure

.

.

.

For a moment in that eternity, she was resting in peace.

.

.

Her mind was completely blank. There was nothing there to fill that stressless emptiness or to cloud that sunless sky that resembled that medic's head. She had all the space in the world and her ideas weren't there to occupy any endless corner of her subconscious. For that eternal moment, she didn't want anything to disturb that perfect state of absence that, for a reason she didn't want to know either, was making everything so much better than before. So much lighter than before. In that white canvas she called mind, the pink haired Uchiha didn't want any color to disturb that infinite solitude. However, as the numbness evaporated from her senses, a shower of colors started to paint her inner walls. Shades of orange, of pink, of gray and even of black were slowly decorating the insides of her soul.

.

Those shades brought back the precious memories of her life.

.

They brought back all the smiles and all the tears she has ever shed.

.

They brought back all the things that made an Uchiha Sakura out of that hollow body.

.

Those shades, eventually, brought her back to reality. A reality a lot different from the one in which she lived before her collapse. Before that disease.

.

When she weakly opened her green eyes to see the world, all the colors had melted into a solid white. Her brain took some time to fully interpret what she was seeing, but when it did, it became clear for her that she was staring at a white celling she couldn't really identify from where it belonged. On that first moment of her partial awakening, her body started to recover its sensibility in quite a slow pace. It started in her feet, when she felt the soft and cold sheets falling over her ankles; then it climbed up to her hands that started to move their fingers almost imperceptibly. Some shivers followed their way up to her chest, making the rosette feel every single breath that filled her lungs. It was a comfortable and cold sensation that helped the rest of her body to recover all of its senses and made her get used to the silent atmosphere that surrounded her. Sakura was fully awake once again, and along with her consciousness, the memories she preferred to have forgotten, returned.

.

His painful face was the first image that lit up inside of her head when the chaos brought by that epidemic was remembered. That man's decapitated head was the next image and the other countless deaths followed by in that reversed time-line that was being rebuilt by her still confused mind. She remembered his last words and how his hand was sweating because of the fever. She remembered both of them waiting for his inevitable death and she remembered about her idea. The idea that could save him. The idea that made her choose to intentionally be infected in order to prevent his eyes from closing forever by the end of that night. Yes, Sakura already remembered it all, but what happened after that? What happened after her memory shut down? Was he dead? Was she dead? She didn't know anymore. And depending on what would be the answer for the first question, the second didn't matter at all.

.

Once she managed to make her head fall to the sides of what seemed to be a pillow, her forest green eyes carefully started to analyze her surroundings. It just took her a quick glance at the machines and at the design of the room to conclude that she was at the central hospital of Konoha. She was back to that place that was the center of the infection, and for some moments, Sakura felt an unexplainable fear of being there. She didn't want to be back at that place when her help was of no use. She didn't want to see anyone else dying because of that virus, and after concluding that, a sharp pain settled in her heart. If she was there, then it meant her self-healing idea hadn't worked on her and it also meant it hadn't worked on him either. It meant that she had failed in finding a cure. It meant that the love of her life was dead. And that thought was enough to make her eyes shed the most painful tears of her life.