The Case of the Weeping Bride

You were walking out of Scotland Yard when your phone goes off. You pull it out of your pocket and see the ID: Sherlock. You smile as you push accept and put the phone to your ear. "Hey, handsome." You greeted and you hear him let out a small chuckle. "Hey beautiful, listen I've got a case for us." He replied.

"Okay, by the way, how's Victor?" You asked. "Right now, he's asleep. But anyway the case, Emily Wilder has lost track of her fiancé, Stuart Hamlyn, just days before their wedding." said Sherlock. "Oh, wow. You've always heard about Runaway Brides but never Runaway Grooms." You said, sarcastically. Sherlock chuckles at this.

"So, you want me to go see her and question her." You said as you walk towards the sidewalk and hail a cab. "If you don't mind. I would go but, I know you would kill me if I left Victor alone without some supervision since John is at work and Mrs Hudson is out and I don't want to load on another baby on Molly since she's watching Rosie." Sherlock said.

"Damn, right. But I'll see what I can find. I'll call you back." You said as you get into the cab. "Great, she lives in Chelsea and, also, get a recent photo of him." He said, quickly. "Will do, love. Bye." You said. "Bye." He said and you hang up.

"Stuart vanished six days ago and he hasn't been home or at the library where he works since then." Emily said to you as you sit across from her in her couch. "He's normally such a thoughtful type, always reading travel books or daydreaming about the future." She continued, thoughtfully. "He sounds very lovely. Um....you don't happen to have a recent photo of him do you?" You asked her. "Oh, yes!" She said and she hands you a photo.

It showed Emily, a shoulder length blonde hair woman, smiling with her arms wrapped around a man with short brown hair and brown eyes also smiling, but not as much enthusiasm as Emily, which you thought was odd. "We're getting married next week and Daddy's spent his last penny on the ceremony. Please, bring my little dreamer back to me!" She begged as she takes some tissue and blows her nose.

"I'll do my best, Miss Wilder. I may not be my husband but I will try my best to bring Stuart home." You said. "Oh, thank you, Mrs Holmes." She exclaimed, tearfully, and she walks over to you and hugs you.

You hug back when you look over at the coat hanger, by the door, and see a brown coat hanging off of it. What caught your eye was a price of paper slip sticking out of the pocket. You walk over to it and examine the coat.

"Is this Stuart's coat?" You asked her. "Yes, it is. It's strange that he didn't take it with him, to be honest." She said. You pull out the paper and noticed it was a betting slip:

7-2

Shanghai Surpirse

to win

£500

Hmm, a big bet and a big loss. You thought. "Hmm, Miss Wilder, did you know Stuart is a gambler?" You said. She shakes her head at you and you frown at this. "Well, I'll be in touch." You said and she shows you out. 

"So Stuart liked a flutter on the horses." Sherlock said as you make it back to Baker Street and show Sherlock the betting slip. "Yep, that bet was placed at a bookmakers' in Queensway....far from work, far from home." You said as you feed a warm bottle to your son. "Hmmm, interesting. We need to find out what he was doing there." Sherlock said. "Okay. I'll see if Aunt Martha wants to babysit Victor for a few hours and we will go." You said and you walk down to your aunt's flat.

"(Y/N), dear, how are you? And how's little Victor?" Your aunt asked. "We're fine, Aunt Martha. Um, can I ask you a favor? Can you watch Victor for us for awhile? Sherlock and I have got a case we need to solve." You said. "Of course dear, you two go on." Your aunt said as you hand Victor to her. "Thank you, Aunt Martha." You said and you kiss her on the cheek.