CHAPTER 18

“Oh! Okay ka na?” Mika asked Ara.

Ara and I went out of her room after our conversation. I convinced her to go out and talk to her friends to get her head off the things that are bugging her. Now we are standing side by side in the doorframe of her room facing her friends on the living room.

Ara timidly smiled at Mika and nodded.

“Sabi sayo, lumipat ka na Mika. Okay yang si Thomas,” Kim butted in.

“Tigilan mo ko,” Mika told Kim.

“Ako parang gusto ng lumipat,” Carol said. “Mukhang umayos na mukha ni Victonara eh. Pati jetlag hindi na iniinda oh.”

“You are very much welcome in Team Thomas, Carol,” Cienne said with matching open arms.

“Naririnig namin kayo hoy!” Ara reprimanded.

I just shook my head at the quirkiness and step in. “Kain tayo guys,” I invited.

“Gusto ko yan, libre mo ha!” Kim said.

“Of course Kim,” I said.

“Okay. It’s official. I’m in Team Thomas,” Carol said and took the empty side beside Kim’s couch.

“Walang hiya ka Carol,” Mika playfully accused.

“Okay lang ba if magpadeliver na lang tayo? Sabi niyo nga may jetlag pa si Ara,” I said.

“Totoo na, Team Thomas na ko,” Carol said.

“Kakain kayo o aarte diyan? Anuna?” Ara butted in.

“Kakain!” they said in unison. Yes, including Mika.

“What would you guys like?” I asked.

“Pizza,” they chorused. Kaya mga champion to eh. Synchronized na synchroniced.

I turned to Ara who is just looking blankly at the floor, “You want something else?”

She turned to me, “Ha?” She looks like she is lost in her thoughts again. She’s spacing out to somewhere I can’t reach her.

I immediately pulled her shoulders so she will be closer to me, “I’m asking if you want to eat something else, other than pizza?”

“H-ha? Okay na yan,” she dismissed me.

“Are you sure?” I checked and she nodded. I pulled her even closer and whispered, “Stop thinking. Stay with me.”

She smiled timidly though.

“Please Ara,” I urged.

She looked into my eyes for a moment, then eventually said, “I’m with you Thomas.”

“Good,” I said and slight pinch her nose.

“Thomas, anuna?! Pizza!” Mika almost commanded.

“Hoy! Maka-utos ka, close kayo?” Ara joined in the bickering.

“Tigilan mo ko, Victonara,” Mika dismissed. “Dahil kay Thomas wala na ang favorite kong loveteam. Wala ng LiRa. Kaya dapat lang na pakainin ako niyan. Baka magbago pa isip ko kung mabusog ako.”

That sounded harsh but it wasn’t. It was playful in a way. Haha. Maybe this is just how these girls talk to each other.

“Bago na Mika, Thomara na,” Cienne said and then thought about what she said. “Ai mali, matagal na pala yan.”

Cienne and Kim then high five-d each other.

“What’s your favorite pizza, Mika?” I butted in. Haha.

“Ganiyan dapat, Torres. Gusto ko 4 cheese, Yellow Cab,” Mika ordered.

“Noted po,” I said.

“Madaya! Hoy Thomas, paano naman ako? Sinuportahan kita mula simula!” Kim accused.

I smiled, “Anong gusto mo Kim?”

“Sbarro,” Kim answered.

“Paano naman ako?” Cienne asked.

“And me?” Carol raised her hand.

And we end up ordering four different pizzas from four different pizza chains. Plus, Ara and I ordered from Jollibee. That’s what she wants eh.

“Kakapal ng mga mukha natin ah,” Ara commented.

“Naman!” the other four said.

We are all gathered here in the living room. Kim and Carol occupied the long couch. Mika and Cienne are on the single couches. Ara took the bean bag as I sit on the floor beside Ara.

“Movie tayo,” Cienne blurted out.

“Gora!” Carol answered.

“You girls want La la land?” I suggested.

Well, I know that’s sort of a love story. I just thought of it because I’m with girls. I’m sure they would like that.

“Iwww,” they said in unison with disgusted expression at me.

“Magaganda kami Thomas, pero huwag mo naman kaming istereo-typed,” Carol said.

“Hindi naman kami ganun kacheesy,” Cienne said.

Oh yes, right. I forgot I’m with a different breed of beautiful girls. “Sorry, what would you want then?”

“Triple X!” they said in unison, even Ara.

“The return of Xander Cage,” Kim said with feelings.

She made everybody laughed out loud. Kim looked really funny, trying to do her best Vin Diesel pose. The girls are laughing their lungs out. Yep including Ara

It made me smile deep inside. I know she’s not on her trance anymore.

“Wait, that’s still showing. I don’t think we can download that,” I said.

“Pshhh, huwag ka Thomas. Iba na mga pirata ngayon,” Mika said and then turned to Cienne. “Cienne, lam mo na.”

Cienne then nodded and took her laptop out. She then started clicking something.

“What she’s doing?” I asked Ara.

“Downloading,” Ara answered. “May alam na site yan kung saan makakadownload ng latest na movies.”

“Oh, okay,” I just said. “Are you feeling better?”

“So much,” she said and smiled.

“Then I am too,” I said and quickly touched her face.

“Naririndi na ko sa kaka-english mo Thomas ha,” Mika suddenly said. “Paminsan-minsan okay lang, huwag naman buong oras. Nakakasakit sa tenga.”

“Sorry Mika,” I said.

After a few more bickering, the pizzas and Jollibee arrived. Cienne also finished downloading the movie. So the girls and I moved the couches and laid a comforter in front of the television. Cienne, Kim and Mika took the long couch. Carol was on the bean bag while Ara and I are on the comforter.

The girls had their pizzas on their laps while my food and Ara’s are on the comforter. Then we started the movie.

I have to say, I am enjoying, not only Ara’s company, but also the rest of her friends. I get to see an action movie while I’m with the girl I want to be with.

In the middle of the movie, Ara shifted and when I turned to her, her eyes are starting to close. I think it’s the jetlag. So I took a pillow and lay in on my lap.

I gently nudged Ara and pull her closer to me.  “Come here,” I whispered to her.

She timidly smiled but did not protest. She scooted in front of me as she rests her head on the pillow on my lap. When she’s in position, I gently combed her hair using my fingers. She then closed her eyes but her hand reached for mine. She stopped me from what my hand is doing, only because she held my hand closer to her.

I bent down to her and kissed her cheeks. I’m sorry, can’t help it.

When I sat up properly, I felt someone kicked my back, but not the kick that would hurt me. I looked back and it was Mika.

“Tigilan mo yan,” Mika reprimanded. “Wala dito boyfriend ko. Ayokong mainggit.”

“Sorry po,” I timidly said.

“Hindi nga tayo nanood ng love story. May pa-love scene naman tong Thomara,” Carol commented.

“Sorry girls,” I said as I held Ara’s hand tighter. “Watch na kayo.”

After the movie, the girls aside from Ara stretched in their seats. Then I looked down to Ara who is soundly sleeping like a baby, My baby.

“Knock out talaga, Thomas?” Cienne asked.

“Oo eh,” I said and caressed her face carefully. Beautiful.

“So titingnan mo na lang? Hindi mo aayusin?” Mika sarcastically said.

“Two more minutes,” I said as I continue to marvel in her beautiful face.

“Iba ang tama,” I heard Kim said but she only took a fragment of my attention.

The girls were still talking but I didn’t mind them.

Hay Ara, what did you do to my life? How am I in fast forward? What did you do to me? All I can think about is you.

I smiled and carefully lifted Ara to bring put her to bed.
***
.
.
.
“What’s up with you?” Kase asked me. “You’re in good mood.”

I’m here in my cousin’s shop to get some coffee and kill some time.

“Is that a bad thing?” I asked and took a sip of my coffee.

“No, it’s not a bad thing but it’s creepy,” Kasey said. “What’s up?”

I smiled first then answered, “Ara’s home.”

I definitely got her attention. “Really? When?! Okay I want a full-on-detail report.”

“Three days ago. They broke up,” I said without even trying to hide the grin on my face.

“They what?” Kasey asked with wide eyes.

“Thomas! What did you do?!” she accused.

“Nothing. I even gave them the space. They went on a European trip, they went to beautiful places but they still broke. That only means one thing. They’re not meant,” I said casually.

“You’re a very bad person,” Kasey said.

“I am not. It’s just that all those unfortunate events that happened to them is something that is my gain. How can you blame me?” I truthfully said. “I didn’t fight for what I want just to prove that I can ruin relationships. I told you cous, what I feel for Ara is real.”

“I don’t know Thomas. So does that mean you and Ara are official?” Kasey couldn’t help but ask.

“No. I am not as bad as you think. I will not take advantage,” I said. “I am giving her time. She’s upset that she hurt someone. I understand that they did have something special and I know that it will somehow leave some wound on her. I will just be her support system. I will not force what I want.”

Kasey heaved out a sigh, “Okay. That’s good, I guess.”

I beamed at her.

“Now what?” she asked.

“What what?”

Kasey was about to open her mouth when we heard the wind chimes clung signaling that someone just came in the shop. I turned to the door and found Liam.

“Thomas, I don’t want trouble in here,” Kasey warned me as we watch Liam walk to our direction.

He doesn’t look like he’s here for trouble. He’s face is firm and resolute but he’s eyes are hurting. 

“Liam!” Kasey called extra enthusiastically. She ushered the newcomer to our table. “Would you like some coffee?”

He nodded, “Thank you Kase.”

He took the seat that my cousin offered. Kasey also signaled to her staff to give Liam his coffee.

“What brought you here?” Kasey asked with her high-pitch voice.

When asked of his objective, he immediately turned to me. His face is formal and business-like. He may be bigger than I am but I am not backing down if it concerns Ara.

“I’m here to talk to Thomas,” he said.

“Oh. Well, Thomas is here,” Kasey looked at me nervously.

“Kase, I’m fine. I’m not here for trouble. I just want to talk to Thomas,” Liam said formally like we are in a business meeting.

“O-okay,” Kase hesitated.

I’m sure Liam meant to talk to me alone. We both waited for Kasey to let us be but you know her.

“Cous,” I gave her a look. “I got this. I’m cool.”

“Sigurado ka?” she asked.

“Oo, mag-uusap lang kami,” I said.

Eventually, Kasey resolved in her head that she needs to leave us alone. When Liam and I are alone, nobody dared to speak up first, until he did.

“I’m letting her go,” he said. “But I want to make sure she’s in good hands. I need to hear it from you that you will take care of her.”

“You don’t have to tell me that. I am going to take care of her,” I said.

“Good,” he said and he smiled bitterly. “I don’t know what you did to her. I just woke up one day and she’s not mine anymore… I woke up one day and she’s already yours… I tried my best to get her back… I brought her to her dream places. She has always wanted to see Juliet Capulet’s house. I brought her there but her eyes are always away. She smiles but she’s not happy with me anymore.”

Liam went silent for a moment.

“Then the night before we came home, I asked her straight… I asked her if she still loves me, she said yes…” Liam started again. “Then I asked… Do you love Thomas?... She didn’t answer. She just bowed her head. She can’t look me in the eye… I think I got my answer straight even without her verbalizing it.”

Another silence.

“Right there and then, I knew. Yes, she said she loves me but she wouldn’t feel anything for you if what she feels for me is stronger than it is,” Liam said. “I’m not letting her go because I don’t want her anymore. I will let her go because I can’t make her happy.”

Liam gave me a very intense look.

“I love her. So much. More than anything else,” he said. “I am warning you, Thomas. If you have a single doubt that you can’t take care of her, please give her back to me.”

“I am going to take care of her,” I said firmly.

“I am still going to be here for her. I told her I will be a friend. So don’t expect me to just disappear. I will give way but I won’t be gone,” he said. “It’s just that she wants you more. And I can’t not give her that. That’s how much I love her. I’m letting her go so she can be truly happy.”

“We want the same thing. I want her happiness too,” I said.

“Well then that’s good,” he said and gave me a contented look.

To my surprise, he held out a hand to me. “I hope you keep your word or I’ll grab her back.”

I took his hand and shook it, “Trust me, you wouldn’t have to that.

And then Liam went away after getting my word. Right after Liam was through the door, Kasey was all over me.

“What happened?” she asked.

“I think I got my blessing.”
***
.
.
.
“Hi po, do you still remember me?” I asked Ms. Santos

“Of course naman, Thomas, I remember every single customer,” she replied.

Remember Ms. Santos, the jeweler from whom we bought Kasey’s engagement ring. I met up with her today for something I didn’t do before.

“I think alam niyo na rin po kung bakit ako nakipag-meet sa inyo,” I said.

She smiled and took her bag. She opened it and fished a rectangular box out. She opened the upper lid and showed what’s inside.

“I always knew you will get this,” she said.

She showed me the silver charm bracelet that she offered me before.

“I’m sorry po I doubted you before. I thought you were just saying things to make me buy the bracelet. It turned out that I will actually need this little sparkly thing,’ I said.

“It’s alright. But for the record, I didn’t just say it for marketing purposes. I said it because I saw how you looked at her. It was raw but pure. I knew something will blossom in between you and her,” she said.

I smiled, “Thank you for keeping this.”

“No worries,” she said and handed me the bracelet. “Now you go and get her.”

I nodded with enthusiasm, “That, I will.”
***
.
.
.
.
.
.
Author’s Note:

Okay. Pambawi lang guys. I’m not sure if nakabawi nga or what. Let me know.  Thank you for your support. I couldn’t thank everybody enough. I am trying my best to respond to all of you.

Aaaaaand siyempre, I am still asking for some ideas or suggestion. The chapters reflects my thoughts soooo I’m not sure if you like my thoughts.

Don’t forget to follow me on Twitter > @maryc2793

Comment and Vote