Two.

• Dedicated to All Of Those Who Followed Me, And Supported Me

We'll Be A Dream

@kaylay13

     Mae speaks at April's funeral. What she says makes me very happy because I remember her fondly. I also hear stories about when her and April lived in Florida. They have some funny stories. They must have been really close. I laugh a little when she remembers how much she cried like a baby when April moved, but I know it didn't compare to when she heard April died.

     The funeral was taking place outside, the day ironically sunny and clear, the weather warming up, preparing for the summer. She always wanted to have an outside funeral...

     "And now, speaking also of April Janora, Miss Kaela Thacker."

     I feel all eyes on me as I steadily walk up on the podium. I look to face the people, and speak, without hesitation. Thank you Debate Team.

  - //////////////////////// -

     I finish speaking and look once more at the crowd and mutter a "Thank you." Before walking off the stage. I see Mae nod a little and give a small smile. I look forward as the funeral ends. Me and Mae are the only ones left still, or so I thought.

     I feel someones hand on my shoulder and I flinch, before turning around and looking up at blue eyes.

     "I'm worried about you, Kaela," James starts off, looking sad. "I'm sorry for the loss but you haven't answered my calls, or my texts since the hospital." I notice that he hasn't shaved in a while, and he looks tired. Not caring about what he has to say, I don't respond and turn back at the coffin, decorated in pictures and memories of April.

     "Please, Kaela. I- I love you."

     That makes my heart skip a beat. 'Go to him, tell him you love him. Be with him.' A voice reassures me. No, its his fault.... he reminds me too much of her.

     I love you too...

     I still don't move. Yes, I love him, I just don't have time for love. April proved that a boy will get you killed. If I hadn't been with James, and gone to the party, she would still be here. I hear him sigh. "Kaela, I miss you and I know you have to miss me, too. You can't say you didn't feel anything for me, or that you don't.

     "But, if you don't love me, then tell me you hate me. Tell me I make you sick, and you never want to see me again. That being with me was a mistake, and you felt nothing, that you feel nothing." He pleads.

     And I do just that. I turn around, ignoring how handsome he looks with his suit. And I tell him I hate him, that he makes me sick and I can tell his heart is crushed, and mine is too from seeing him so broken. Tears stream down my face. Quickly, I feel regret. But there's no use in taking it back.

     James laughs with no humor, actually with coldness and disbelief as he shakes his head. "That's not how I planned it would go, or as I hoped it would go." He nods, his eyes not looking at me.

     He turns around and walks away, and I stay in that spot, debating on whether to go after him or not.

     I stay in that spot.

     I could've sworn I saw something on his arm.

     Was that the bracelet I made him a long time ago? But I still don't move.

     He remembered...

     I reach up to my ears, twisting one of the amethyst-gold stud earrings in my left ear, matching the ring April gave me. James gave me these earrings...

     'Who needs boys when I have you.' Turning around, I say my last words to April.

     "I'm a mess right now, if you can't tell. Completely broken..." I stare at where I assume her eyes are in the coffin. "And I know nothing I can say or do will make you come back. How selfish of me..." I run my fingers through my hair.

     "But how selfish of you? Leaving me here on this planet without you? What am I to do, you gave me life, and now you've taken it back... How could I think this way of you? I'm such a bad friend if I hadn't been...!" I become frantic, but I stop myself, and take a deep breath.

     "I love you. No other words can come to my mind at the moment. I will never forget you, you know. You will leave a mark. You have left a mark." I fidget with my rings.

     I hear Mae talking to the coffin behind me, and she grips her necklace. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion until she looks at me and smiles a little. Smiling in return, she walks over to me.

     "Hi." She says to me. She has brown hair and green eyes. She is really pretty, and I remember her from when April would tell me countless stories. Mae was a little shorter than me, but not by that much. Her eyes were filled with grief, and she had small bags under her eyes but that was from the sleepless nights, I assume. I haven't slept much, either, and probably look worse. Mae had on a black lace dress, and matching heels. I just wear a simple black dress with regular heels.

     I notice her necklace, which has three red garnets on them. Like my ring, which has a red garnet on it also.

     April's gemstone... Capricorn...

     Mae's eyes are an emerald green. I am stricken with a memory. Her eyes... that color.

     They look familiar.

     I let it go for now. Probably a coincedence...

     "Hey."

     "Kaela, right? April has told me a lot about you." She says with a small smile. Mae reminds me painfully like April, the smiles and the serious effort in trying to lift peoples spirits, and I found myself fighting a smile but I lose, a small genuine smile creeping on my lips.

     "She's told me about you too. Its a shame she isn't here to see all three of us together," I say.

     "Yeah, I'm going to miss her." I see Mae's face fall, and it sounds like she is about to break into tears so I try to change the subject. "She would always dream of being in a band. And how she dreamed of coming here," I smile a little. "She said that she felt like she needed to be here, like it was her destiny." I didn't say the last part about leaving to meet more people like her, I didn't want to make her seem like I've been stealing her away from Mae.

     We talk for a little while longer until she too leaves eventually. 'They all leave. My best friend, my boyfriend.' I think to myself. I stare at the coffin and is met with the sad heart shattering news that my best friend is dead.

     And I break down.