+° 001

level 0: start!

now playing:
ice cream cake - red velvet (8-bit version)

when yerim wakes up at whatever time it is when the sun hasn't risen yet, throwing the warm blankets off of her as she squints her eyes at the blinding blue of the skies, she notices that the gameboys belonging to her brother and his annoying best...

when yerim wakes up at whatever time it is when the sun hasn't risen yet, throwing the warm blankets off of her as she squints her eyes at the blinding blue of the skies, she notices that the gameboys belonging to her brother and his annoying best friend, the ones placed at the corner of the room, are simply no longer there.

she shrugs. they must've put it elsewhere while she was sleeping. she doesn't quite care enough to think about it.

she goes back to sleep in between the snoring boys next to her, not realizing that the clock hanging on the wall is no longer ticking.

°

time? what time?

walking to school with taehyung and jungkook, yerim takes note that the world around her is a little more different than usual. the colors, for one, are odd, more vibrant and pastel, and less real. her surroundings look comically more cartoony than usual, and she finds it very confusing.

even when she woke up earlier, in the safety of her house, she felt like she was in a different world entirely. it scares her.

"oi, guys?" she tries to call for taehyung and jungkook, but the two boys are absorbed in their own conversations, exchanging cheeky grins and flashy fist bumps. yerim sighs and stops bothering, glancing off to the side to look at the view across the road.

she stops in her tracks.

the adults, the old man who she usually sees going to work on the opposite side of the road everyday, and a couple of little children holding onto a busy mother's hands, they're all notably faceless, no eyes and no nose and no mouth and just bunch of nude colored bits mushed together.

yerim rubs her eyes furiously, until they water and threaten to bleed. she has to be hallucinating. images like these shouldn't be real, yes?

apparently not, because she doesn't wake up from this bad dream, and neither does the eerie sight fade away from her vision. she doesn't know what to do about it.

thankfully, some people aren't completely faceless, like the seniors who are walking to school just like her- they've got their eyes, noses, lips, and everything else intact, and yerim isn't sure why she feels so relieved at the discovery.

but there's still something off about them- for one, there's the strange text hanging above each students' heads. on all of them, she sees two things: level, and lives. one senior is at level 1, with six lives. another senior is at a level 3, with twelve lives. none of these things make sense to her, and she vaguely wonders if taehyung may have spiked the tea she was drinking earlier this morning.