Chapter 1

The sound of paws hitting the mossy ground echoed in the forest. Occasionally, the sun would break through the trees and hit my black, glossy coat. I inhaled deeply, scenting the animals of the forest. My unusual coloring as a melanistic leopard allowed me to blend in even more so in the dark areas of the forest. Many of the birds and small animals fell silent as I entered their area and once or twice, a squirrel would chatter at me with annoyance. If a leopard could chuckle, I would have surely been doing so. My new territory was pleasing and I purred in pleasure. Soon, I would have to leave and retreat to the new house I had found. It wasn't as close to the forest as I wished but it would do nicely.

A strange smell caught my attention. Sniffing closer, I came to the realization that there was a large pack of wolves in the area. They had claimed this as their territory. Having marked strategically, I noticed that though the familiar earthy scent of the wolf was present, a stronger, almost cucumber like scent covered it. I had never smelled anything like it before. It was possible that this was a breed of wolves that I hadn't encountered before. For most of my life, I had lived in the city, so I had a rather limited knowledge on smells. The zoo had only helped me to learn the basics but it had done well enough under the circumstances.

The smell was mentally noted for future reference. By the light beginning to color the sky, I knew I needed to get back. Turning, I trotted to the place I left my car. After twenty years of learning the ways, I had remembered to place a pile of clothes in the forest to change into. It wouldn't do well if some early jogger happened to glance and see a black leopard magically turn into human woman in front of my Honda Accord. I reached my clothes and willed myself into my human form. Bones shifted and cracked painlessly to form a five foot two, green eyed woman. My dark brown hair with red and blond tones in it always tangled hopelessly from the change. I huffed out a sigh as I pulled my clothes on. They were jogging clothes. If anyone asked me what I was doing, I could always say I went for a morning jog.

Not a soul was out as I slipped into my car. There wasn't even an early jogger. This town was small and rather unfriendly but that was how I liked it. There was no need for me to socialize with them. I drove carefully home, keeping an eye out for any deer that decided to cross the road. I thankfully made it to the two-story home I had found for rent and eventually to buy if I liked it enough. It was rather big for me and my Newfoundland, Bernie, but it worked. Pulling into the driveway, I parked. My closest neighbors were a good ten miles from me so I didn't have to worry about Bernie's loud barking disturbing them.

A smile formed on my face as I thought of Bernie. Most animals didn't like me because of my strange ability but Bernie had taken right to me. I had found the poor dog, drenched, exhausted, and starving. He was tied up in the backyard of an abandoned house, forgotten and unloved by his past owners. There was no way I could leave him like that. So I had taken him in and nursed him back to health. There were no records of him in the computer so once I put him in, he was officially mine. I was glad of his company in these unfamiliar parts.

The door was unlocked like I left it and Bernie was waiting at the front door for me. He tried to jump up to kiss me all over my face. Even after two years, I still was almost knocked over by his greeting. Laughing, I pushed the dog off.

"Bernie! How many times do I have to tell you? Don't jump!"

My tone was amused though and Bernie paid no attention to my words. Smiling, I headed inside, passing an endless amount of boxes and crates. I had only gotten in last night and today would be filled mostly with unpacking. I dreaded it but it was a necessary evil. A sigh escaped me and I looked down at Bernie,

"Well, you ready to roll up your sleeves and get to work?"

He gave me a look and then laid down to promptly fall asleep. I shook my head, figuring I wouldn't get much help from him. I was on my own.