Chapter 4

Xavier placed a hand on my back as we walked in and I couldn't help but to be grateful for the unspoken support. As soon as I had taken a step out of the car, all eyes were on me and my legs quivered with nervousness. While most of the pride members seemed awed and dare I suggest pleased to see me, there were a small few with large scowls on their faces. I tried not to pay much attention as I let Bernie out but it was rather hard to act comfortable with hostile eyes on me. That's why when we finally entered the house, relief flowed through me.

Inside, a line of people stood with their hands behind their back looking straight ahead. First the staring and now this? Xavier's stature stiffened imperceptibly, only betrayed by the tightening of his fingers on my back. One of the women, an older heavyset lady, stepped forward and bowed her head.

"Luna, we are the staff of the pride house. We are at your disposal at any time of day and will attempt every request."

Being treated like this did have me taken aback but I quickly recovered.

"Thank you very much Miss...?"

"Florence Jones, Luna. I am the current Housekeeper."

"Miss Jones, it is extremely wonderful to meet you all. The only request I have is that you all be patient. I am new to this pride and learning to be a Luna so I am not ashamed to say that every one of you will be a great well of information for me, if it doesn't bother you of course."

Miss Jones looked up at me with a startled expression but it quickly faded into eagerness.

"Of course Luna! We would be ecstatic to help you!"

I smiled at her and felt my very core droop with relief when Xavier stepped in.

"I'm afraid I need to get my mate settled in, Florence."

She bowed her head at us again as Xavier guided me past them. The lady seemed pleasant. Maybe I could become friends with her. We headed up the stair and it seemed like we would be going to the office I had seen before but Xavier stopped me at a room before it.

Inside a medium sized bedroom greeted me. The walls were a grey similar to Xavier's eyes but the mood was brightened considerably with lilac and pastel pink accents. I could tell it had recently been painted. The queen sized bed was completely white if you excluded the lone grey pillow. Oh goodness, this room already found a way to my heart!

"I love this room. Who decorated it?"

"Florence. There's a bathroom connected to it over there."

My belongings were already neatly stacked up against the wall for me to unpack once I was ready. I really had to make friends with Florence. This room is exactly my kind of taste. Bernie bumped me and I absentmindedly scratched him before a thought entered my mind.

"Oh yeah! Bernie isn't going to bother anyone will he? He won't attack anyone, I promise. He might growl a little at men but for the most part, so long as they don't bother him, he'll ignore them."

Xavier glanced down at my overgrown puppy and shook his head.

"He will be fine. I'm sure the staff will attempt to spoil him but he has no danger from any of the pride members-."

His words were interrupted by a large growl originating from his stomach. A grin escaped me until I realized my own stomach needed to be filled as well.

"I'll ask for sandwiches to be brought up for us. You can either start unpacking or set up your computer in the office."

I nodded and answered,