Chapter 8

White light blinded me. Where in the heavens was I? I raised my arm and shielded my eyes from the light. When I blinked and glanced down, I found I could see my hand wrapped in someone else's hand. Who was this? These tingles reminded me of the way I felt when Xavier touched me but it wasn't quite the same.

"My mate. Are you well?"

This time when I looked up, I saw a face startlingly similar to Xavier's. It was older and more grizzly but there were definitely similar features.

"No. The sun just blinded me."

Whose voice was that? I raised a hand to my lips when I found that they had moved at the same time the voice spoke. What was going on!?

"Ah. We better get you out of the sun. It can't be good for the baby."

The Xavier-look alike rubbed my protruding belly gently and my eyes widened in shock.

"You're so overprotective love."

"And you're pregnant. Have you been thinking of names?"

"Hmm. I like Xavier."

"The same as my father?"

The man looked surprised and she-me chuckled.

"Your father may have the same name but no that's not why. Xavier means bright or new house. A bright future in our new pride."

"Hm. It'll do."

Despite his gruff tone, the Xavier look alike had eyes that twinkled.

"Of course!"

As she laughed, I felt myself fading, spiraling back to- back to something. Who was that? Could it have been Xavier's father? That was the only thing that made sense. But he had seemed so caring then. How could he have become such a monster?

"Soralyn."

A rough voice whispered my name and I shot up into a sitting position like someone had shouted in my ear.

"Luna!"

My eyes felt heavy but I forced them open. Xavier looked grief ridden and Giovanni seemed out of his wits. I blinked at the two of them slowly before frowning.

"Geez. What's wrong with the two of you?"

My voice was croaky and it took a mere second before a glass of water appeared in front of me. An older gentleman wearing a white doctor's coat offered it.

"Luna. Please drink this."

I accepted it but my hands were so shaky I immediately spilled some on me. Xavier quickly took it from me and raised it to my lips for me. Gulping down the cool liquid eagerly, I regained a little bit of my senses. For some reason, my entire body felt so heavy. The doctor plumped some pillows behind my back and lowered me back onto them.

"You're still weak Luna. It's better to regain your energy for right now. I'm aware of your situation so I know how important it is to keep your energy."

Xavier caught my eyes as he leaned back. While he was relieved, there was unadulterated fear in his eyes.

"I'm fine. Can you tell me what happened?"

I had more than an inkling as to what happened but I wasn't sure why.

"I'm sorry Luna. I wasn't able to detect any illness or abnormalities except a possible lack of nutrients that could cause dizziness. I'm going to look your iron levels because that's seems to most fit with your symptoms."

"Thank you."

"Until then, please rest in bed Luna."

He inclined his head and left the room. Xavier stayed where he was, staring at my face like he feared I would disappear if I looked away. Giovanni moved and took the space beside the bed that the doctor had previously occupied.