Chapter Five

I looked around frantically. I'd lost Ren after the attack. My nephews had her and I could hear her laughter turned to screaming. I'd gone into a battling frenzy. I glanced out of the corner of my eye every few seconds looking for Ren. At the thought of the beast killing her, made my stomach churn.

I whipped around at a familiar scream. Suddenly, my little girl was beneath a massive spider. I ran to my child, my stomach tighten.

I sank my sword into the blue tinted arachnid's skull. It collapsed onto her tiny frame. Ren cried out in fright. I rolled the beast off of the russet haired girl.

"Father," she squeaked. I gulped.

Every time she called me that it made me nervous. I was no kind of father. I hardly fathered my nephews.

After all, I couldn't get attached to her. I knew she wouldn't make it to Erebor. I wanted to be her father figure, but I feared her death. I wanted to prolong it.

"Where were you?" I asked, almost breathlessly, "Are you hurt?"

"No, I'm okay," she told me.
"Thorin! Move!" someone had shouted. I pulled Ren roughly to my chest and rolled to the ground.

"Are you alright?" I asked, letting go of her slightly.

"Yes," she murmured uncurling her body.

A figure leapt over us. Instinctively sheltered Ren with my body. Suddenly we had been surrounded by elves. Ren's hazel eyes widened in fear. I doubt she'd ever seen an elf.

I stood up and glared heavily at the elves. I recognized a few of them. It was the same elves that left my family and my kingdom, in its time of need.

The elves swiftly killed the remaining spiders.
"Legolas," a brunette female elf addressed a familiar blonde elf, "What do we do with the dwarves?"

The blonde elf, Legolas, gave us merrily a glance, "We'll take them back with us," he signaled to the others.

The elves surrounded us. "Get in line," one of the elves barked. My Company glared back at the elves but got in line, since we were clearly outnumbered.

"They've got a child," sneered one of the elves.

"Tauriel, get the dwarf child," Legolas ordered. The brunette female elf walked over to me. A jolt of panic shot through me, like lightening. Quickly I pulled Ren to my chest again. I felt Ren burry her face into my chest.

Tauriel reached for Ren, and I instinctively jerked away. Fili pushed himself in between us and Tauriel. Suddenly, someone snatched Ren from my grasp. Ren cried out in surprise. I reached for my knife.

"I wouldn't do that if I was you," snarled a tall black haired elf. He held Ren is his arms, with a knife to her throat.

"If you hurt a hair on her head, so help me I will kill you," I growled, full of rage and terror.
"Thorin," Balin put his hand on my shoulder.

"Give Tauriel the girl," Legolas ordered. The elf that held her pulled the knife away from her throat. Ren yelped in pain. My stomach dropped.

I desperately searched her for cuts. I'd never hated the color red as much as when I saw the blood trickling down her neck.

"Ren!" I tried to get to her, but Dwalin held me back. "Let me go," I snarled.

"If I do she will die," he said quietly.
"He's right uncle," Fili said.

I glanced at Ren, I tried to be quick, but not quick enough to avoid the tears in her eyes. I clenched my teeth and fist angrily.
"Relax," Kili said, "Tauriel has her now." I looked over and the female elf was holding her gently.