Chapter Six

The little russet dwarf girl, woke violently. Her orbs flashed open, and she met the eyes a familiar elf. A sudden throb began in her neck.

     "What's happening?" Ren asked sounding sleepy.
    "King Thranduil wants to speak with you today," Tauriel said.
    "W-why?" she asked becoming frightened.
     "I don't know. I don't think he'll harm you because you're only child," said the she-elf.

       Sighing, she then said, "I'm not being much help am I?"
     Ren never had a chance to respond. Tauriel gave her a grim smile, then lifted Ren in her arms and said, "Let's get you ready,"

                Tauriel had filled a small tub with warm water. "I can wash myself," Ren said, realizing that Tauriel wanted to bathe her.
      "Yes, but I still haven't gotten to stitch up your wound. You may tear it by accident. Also I don't want you to drowned," Tauriel had made an excellent argument that Ren couldn't refuse. The elf stripped her and gently set Ren in the water.

                Ren let out a soft sigh. It was so nice to have a bathe, it felt like it'd been forever since she'd had one.
      "How long has it been?" Tauriel asked while she fetched a cloth.
      "How long since what?" Ren frowned curiously. "Since you've had a proper cleaning," Tauriel asked blankly. Ren shrugged as the elf started washing her hair. The dwarf closed her eyes for a moment and enjoyed the bath.

                After her bath Tauriel dressed Ren, in Ren's now clean clothes.
     "Ren, can you sit on the bed while I brush your hair?" Tauriel asked.
     "You're brushing my hair?" Ren knitted her brows.
    "Didn't your mother ever brush your hair?" Tauriel countered, sounding concerned. Looking down at her feet, Ren nodded.

Memories of her mother's soft finger braiding her hair. The constant scent of honey and rolls drifting through their home. It made her heart ache.

     "Well, I'm going to brush it, if you don't mind," Tauriel said firmly. The dwarf nodded, a little smile tugged at her cheeks.

                Tauriel sat crossed legged behind Ren. The elf gently brushed her hair, humming softly. "Do you like to sing?" Ren asked as Tauriel tugged on her hair.
      "Yes, I use to sing all the time," Tauriel continued to brush her hair, "I'm a bit busy for it now though."

                "There, now you're ready to see the king," Tauriel smiled, as she tucked a purple blossom behind Ren's ear.
      "Thank you," Ren smiled happily. Tauriel patted her head, then lifted her up. "I'm going to stitch up your neck when you're done talking to the king," the elf said, leaving the room.

***
                Tauriel carried Ren all across the elf kingdom. She stopped at a huge door wooden door. It had beautiful golden work entwining across the door. Ren's little body was tense. The huge doors swung open. And on a spiraled throne, sat a blonde man. His blue eyes were cold than ice.

"That's the dwarf?"
***

"Are we ready to go?" Bofur asked. All night the dwarves had been devising a plan of escape.
     "No," Thorin said gruffly. Bilbo glanced at him.
    "Ren isn't back yet," Thorin had to explain.

"Honestly Thorin, did you think she was going to?" Dwalin asked.
      The king-to-be glared heavily, yet said nothing.
"Of course she'll come back," Kili said, "She was staying in Tauriel's chamber."

    Fili looked at his brother oddly, "Since when did you trust elves?" Kili looked down at the stone floor and said nothing. "

"I can go get Ren," Bilbo offered, "Don't worry. I doubt they'd hurt an innocent child."

     Thorin looked up at the hobbit. Hope sparking in his blue eyes. "Thank you dear friend," the dwarf let out a relieved breath.

     "Well, we can't just leave her here," Bilbo offered a soft smile. All the dwarves looked at him expectantly. "Fine, fine, I'm going," Bilbo shook his head and slipped out of sight.

    Once he was sure no one could see him, Bilbo slipped on his ring. The strange but oh-so familiar rush filled his veins. The hobbit let out on ecstatic breath. The ring was like a drug. It kept calling his name whenever he took it off. It called him in a dark voice; the voice was strange, it felt dark and wrong. It didn't feel normal at all, it felt dangerous, but it dragged him down anyways.

He had shown Ren the ring more or less. She found it and returned it with few questions. Bilbo told her that it was a family heirloom from his mother. Shockingly he felt little guilt. He assumed it was the rings power.

                Bilbo saw Tauriel rushing down the hall with Ren in her arms. He followed her to a big doorway. It opened and he watched as King Thranduil sat on his throne and with a cold hard stare.
"That's the dwarf?" he asked.
"Yes, this is Ren," Tauriel answered.

                "Ren, that seems fitting for her," Thranduil got off his throne and began circling Tauriel and Ren like they were his prey. Bilbo feared that Ren would be said prey soon.

                "What a darling baby girl Thorin has," the king mused to himself. Ren opened her mouth to speak but quickly decided not to.
    "Tauriel?" King Thranduil addressed.
"Yes sir?" Tauriel looked at him.
      "How much do you think it would be worth to Thoirn Oakensheild if her head stayed attached to her shoulders?" Thranduil inquired.

                Fear racked Bilbo. He was fond of girl, but he worried for Thorin's health if she died. The dwarf was very protective and attached to Ren. He was even angry that Gandalf had used his magic to bring him back and not heal his child.

                "Sir!" Tauriel cried, pulling Ren closer to her, "You can't possibly be serious."

Ren was visibly shaken.

   Thranduil chuckled, "Of course I'm serious,"
With a worried look Tauriel spoke up, "My lord, I don't mean to sound disrespectful-."
     "Then don't make a sound," Thranduil snapped.
                Bilbo sucked in a breath, forgetting not to make any noise. Lucky for him, King Thranduil ignored it. Tauriel and Ren heard it however.

     "Prepare her Tauriel," the king said.
"But, you can't-" Tauriel's voice quavered.
    "I can do what I want and I want you to get the girl ready for her death!" Thranduil snapped. "Y-yes sir," Tauriel bowed her head.

                She ran out of the king's hall. Bilbo ran after them. He followed them until Tauriel sat down against an abandon wall, looking exhausted.

"I know you're there so just come out," Tauriel ordered.
     Bilbo slipped off the ring and then he showed himself.
     "Bilbo," Ren looked up at him with tears in her hazel orbs, "Is Father okay?" a smile wormed it's way on to Bilbo's face, Ren was too cute.
       "Yes, your Father is fine, he's just worried about you," the hobbit said.

           After a moment of relief her eyes grew to the size of saucers.
    "Am I going to die?" she asked in a terrified voice. Her eyes wide and still full of tears. "Please don't let him kill me."
      "Take her," Tauriel said suddenly, "I know you want to escape. So escape and run." The elf thrust the little dwarf at Bilbo.
     "Come on Ren," Bilbo gestured to her to follow him, "Let's go. The Company is waiting."

                Before running to Bilbo, Ren ran over to Tauriel and hugged her. "Thank you," Ren said, before hurrying after the hobbit.

                Bilbo led her through twists and turns and then down to the dungeon.
      "Ren!" Thorin cried as he saw her.
"Father!" Ren cried, and rushed to the cage Thorin was locked in.
      Bilbo smiled at the happy reunion. Thorin reached through the bars and stroked her hair. "You're okay," he murmured to Ren.
   She smiled up him. "Yes, I'm just fine."
    After Thorin had a few moments to collect himself, he announced that he would leave immediately.

                Bilbo ushered the dwarves down to the winery. "Quickly get in the barrels," he said quietly so he wouldn't wake the sleeping, drunken elves.
      Thorin crawled into a barrel and helped Ren inside. "You'll be safe now," Thorin said. Then more to himself, "I'll keep you safe. I promise."