Chapter 4

"You go on, I have to go and change into my dress," Maya said, stopping at the huge wooden arched doors that lead to the ballroom. I looked at her though my silvery grey mask, afraid of what might happen without her there. "Just find Parker, okay," she said. I nodded, realizing that someone else already in there had my back.

There were two men, one on either side of the entrance, looking at the luna and I. "Do we open the doors now, luna?" One of them asked.

"Yes please, Hank," Maya nodded. She turned back to me. "Go in there and have fun," she told me before walking away. Hank and the other guy opened the doors and the sound of music filled my ears. I walked in onto the little balcony that split into two identical staircase on either side. Over the edge I saw a ton of people, and eyes were turning to look at me from all around the room. I started down the stairs, feeling awkward under all the pressure right now.

As I descended, my eyes searched the room for Parker, wanting to make it over to wherever he was as quickly as possible. Everyone's eyes on me was making me feel uncomfortable. My eyes landed on my best friend and as soon as I was on flat ground I rushed over to him, almost tripping over my dress in the process. "Parker, hey," I gasped, nudging his elbow.

"Elizabeth, wow. You look . . . amazing," he gasped. I was glad that I had a mask to cover my face, because I could feel just how red my cheeks were.

"Thank you Parker, you do too," I said, telling the truth. He was wearing a black tux, and a shiny grey tie. His mask was different shades of grey, the main shade matching his tie.

"Want a drink?" He asked, holding it a cup full of punch. I nodded gratefully, taking a sip. It was sweet and sugary, tasting exactly how punch should taste.

"Are you going to try and find your mate tonight?" I asked him. He nodded eagerly.

"There's four other packs here besides our own. I'm sure that I'll meet her," he said, and I could hear the happiness and excitement in his voice.

"Promise me you won't forget about me when you meet her though," I said quietly.

"Woah, Elizabeth, where is this coming from? Of course I won't forgot about you. You're my best friend. No, actually you're my sister. I'm not going to forget about Sarah when I meet my mate, so why would I forget about you?" He asked. His words warmed my heart and put a smile on my face.

"I don't know, I'm just being silly, forget I even said that," I said, though deep down I was glad that I had. I've always had Parker by my side, and I don't want to lose him if he meets his mate. Or if I meet mine.

I saw Parker looking at me, his head tilted slightly to the side as if he was analyzing me. "Come here," he said, holding out his arms. I gladly stepped into them and wrapped my arms around his lower back. I rested my head against his chest, letting out a breath of relief.

He pulled me away from his body and held me by my shoulders at arms length. "Cheer up buttercup," he said. "Have fun tonight." I nodded, putting a smile on my face which caused him to have one too.

A mouthwatering scent of the woods and pine trees overwhelmed my nose, and I turned around to see a perfectly built man standing behind me. There was a black mask covering his face, but through it I could see two dark eyes staring intently at me. His skin was a perfect bronzed tan, and a mop of dark hair sat on his head. "Mate," we both whispered in sync.

I knew who this was. I had grown up beside him for twelve years before he went off to training. We had been close, him, Parker, and I. But then he had gone away for training and Parker and I were left.

"I'll see you later," Parker whispered in my ear, and I heard him slip into the crowd.

"Who was that?" Noah asked. His voice was deeper then I remember, and a million times sexier. Puberty had obviously done him well.