21. A Faerie's Love

~*~

Once upon a time, there was a beautiful lady of the Seelie Court who lost her heart to the son of an angel.

Once upon a time, there were two boys come to the land of Faerie, brothers noble and bold.

One brother caught a glimpse of the fair lady and, thunderstruck by her beauty, pledged himself to her. Pledged himself to stay. His brother would not leave his side.

And so the boys stayed beneath the hill, one loved the lady, and the other despised her.

And so the lady kept her boy close to her side, kept this beautiful creature who swore his fealty to her, and when her sister lay claim to the other, the lady let him be taken away, for he was nothing.

She gave her boy a silver chain to wear around his neck, a token of her love, and she taught him the ways of the Fair Folk.

She danced with him in revels beneath starry skies. She fed him moonshine and showed him how to give way to the wild.

Some nights they heard the other brother's screams, and she told him it was an animal in pain, and pain was in an animal’s nature.

She did not lie, for she could not lie.
Humans are animals.
Pain is their nature.

~

For seven years they lived in joy. She owned his heart, and he hers,  and so they were happy.

Until the day one brother discovered the truth of the other.

The lady thought her lover would go mad with the grief of it and the guilt. And so, because she loved the boy, she wove him a story of deceitful truths, the story he would want to believe. That he had been ensorcelled to love her; that he had never betrayed his brother; that he was only a slave; that these seven years of love had been a lie.

The lady set the useless brother free and allowed him to believe he had freed himself.

The lady subjected herself to the useless brother’s attack and allowed him to believe he had killed her.

The lady let her lover renounce her and run away.

And the lady beheld the secret fruits of their union and kissed them and tried to love them. But they were only a piece of her boy. She wanted all of him or none of him.

As she had given him his story, she gave him his children.

She had nothing left to live for, then, and so lived no longer.

~

This is the story she left behind, the story her lover will never know; this is the story her daughter will never know.

This is how a faerie loves: with her whole body and soul.

This is how a faerie loves: with destruction.

~

I love you, she had told him, night after night, for seven years. Faeries cannot lie, and he knew that.

I love you, he had told her, night after night, for seven years. Humans can lie, and so she let him believe he lied to her, and she let his brother and his children believe it, and she died hoping they would believe it forever.

This is how a faerie loves: with a gift.

****************************************
Beautifully written by Cassandra Claire in 'Pale Kings and Princes' of the 'Shadowhunter Academy'

If you haven't read her works yet then go read it already!!!

What are you waiting for?!??

It has amazingly beautiful characters and a mind boggling story in a brilliantly explained, exciting world!!

Go read all of her stories..!!

Trust me you won't be disappointed..

Vote and comment to show your love!! <3