chapter 1 - Meet

KATIES POV

My name is Katie Mac Louis and I'm a werewolf. My mom died when I was thirteen from a drunk driver. Since then, my father has been abusing my brother and I ever since her death. I try my best to take some of the inflictions for my brother, so he does not have to deal with the pain. My dad has become like the one who killed my mother, a drunk. He goes out and gets drunk every night. When he comes home, he always seems to find a way to hurt us. He tries to blame it on things we do. They are always little things like dishes in the sink or not coming home on time or me not cleaning enough. Because of his abusive behavior, me and my brother have learned to watch what we say and do. 

I am the one who takes care of my brother, because my dad doesn't do anything other than drink. I walk us where we need to go and when we need to go. I cook for him and give him what I can. Our father never goes to the store and when he does, he gets very little food. I get a different type fruit everyday (for lunch) from my brothers' babysitter. He gets taken to school and picked up by Mrs. Perrie. Mrs. Perrie is also a werewolf, who also knows what my dad does. She has tried to help us, but he always ends up threatening or hurting her. She has her mate but he's out working in the war to help our country.

It's been 5 years since my mom's death. She was my dad's mate, so of course he's going to be sad and depressed. I just don't understand why he keeps on hurting me and my brother. I mean we are his kids, what does it do for him?

My dad is tall and muscular. He has grown pale and lost his tan color since my mom passed, and the shine in his green eyes are gone. He hasn't smile since her death. He works all day then goes to the bar right after he gets off. After we go to bed, he drinks at home and ends his night throwing up in the bathroom. My father doesn't allow me to have friends or to go out or even work. I have had to keep it hidden for years on the things I do while he's gone. I've been working at a restaurant near my house late at night and on weekends, so I can get my little brother a birthday present. My brother is five and his name is Kc. He is tan, like me, with bright green eyes. His eyes have a little hint of blue in them, but you can only see it when he's in the light. His eyes are just like my mothers, that's why I think my father rejects him.

~~~

I woke up at 5 o'clock and remembered it was my 18th birthday. I sat up and listen to hear if my dad was awake, and it could hear him down stair in the kitchen. This means I have to be quicker than normal. I quickly ran into the bathroom to take a shower. I washed my body and hair then shaved. After I grabbed my towel and dried off, I walked into my closet and put on my normal outfit, which is, my black converse, black skinny jeans, white tank top, a shirt over top (today I wore my purple 'V' neck shirt), and my black hoodie. I had a black eye and a swollen lip from last night with my dad. I didn't try to cover it because I had my hoodie to over my face. Then I put on my black eyeliner and mascara. After I finished getting ready, I went to wake up my brother. I walked in and saw him spread out across his bed asleep. I walked over and sat on the edge of his bed and rubbed his head, "Kc- time to wake up, bud." He turned over to me and opened his eye smiling.

"Happy Birthday, sissy!" He said hugging me.

"Thanks, bud, but you got to get up, get dressed, and eat before school." I said and he nodded. After I went down stairs and saw my dad was now sleeping on the couch, I walked into the kitchen trying not to make any noise and made cereal for Kc. Kc came running down the stairs (luckily my dad didn't wake up) dresses and ready for school. He came up and sat at the counter to eat his breakfast.

When he was done it was 6 o'clock and time for us to go. I set the bowl in the sink and help him put his jacket and backpack on. I grabbed my backpack and took his hand in mine then headed out locking the door behind me. Me and Kc started to walk toward Mrs. Perrier's house. I saw Kc was still sleepy, so I picked him up and carried him in my hip. He leaned his head on my shoulder and fell asleep quickly.