chapter 2 - The Truth

KATIE'S POV

When I got there, it was already 4:30. I knocked on the door before KC ran out and hugged me. "Hey there kido!" I said smiling down at him.

"I missed you sissy." KC said looking up at me.

"Thanks again for watching him, Mrs. Perrie, and thank you so much for the iPod! I love it!" I said then hugged her.

"I helped, sissy! I help!" KC yelled while pulling back on my legs. I looked down at him and picked him up.

"I know, KC, I know." I said kissing his forehead then turning back to Mrs. Perrie. "Thanks again!" I said turning away but she stopped me.

"I have some extra dinner and it's your birthday so I wanted you to have some." She said handing it to KC then closed the door. She always closes the door fast so I can't protest. I started to walk away and sat down at the edge of the curb. KC sat next to me and opened up the container. It was steak, green beans, and mashed potatoes and all still warm. I cut up the steak and fed KC.

The steak was almost gone when KC said, "Sissy, you eat some too!" I smiled at him but shook my head. "Sissy, I eat the green beans now. You eat steak!" He said then shoved a fork full of green beans in his mouth and I ate the steak. When I was done with the steak, KC was on the potatoes and he even left me some green beans. This was the best birthday I've had in years. After we finished, I put the plate on Mrs. Perrie's doorstep. KC grabbed my hand and we started to head home.

When we were almost halfway home, a car pulled up next to us. The person rolled down their window and I saw it was Isaac. "Hey! Please wait up!" He said and got out of his car. I picked up KC and started to walk faster until Isaac pulled me toward him. "Look, I'm sorry if I scared you back there but you're my mate... And you tried to run from me. Then I saw the bruises.. Who did this to you?"

I started to turn away when KC started to talk, "Daddy." I tense right up when he said that.

"Your daddy? You mean your dad did this to you?" Isaac asked almost about to yell.

"Yea, Katie saved me yesterday but she got hurt. She always tells people she fell down or got hurt playing ball with me," KC said.

"Shh, KC! I told you not to tell anyone that." I said to him firmly.

"I know, sissy, but he looked sad... he wanted to know. I'm sorry, sissy." KC said putting his head on my shoulder and I rubbed his head. I looked up at Isaac, who looked like he was going to burst.

"Get in the car." Isaac said firmly.

"What? No, I'm not just gonna-" I said but was interrupted,

"Get in the car now, Katie!" He yelled and I jumped in fear but did as he said. I went for the back seat, so I could put KC in and buckle him, but Isaac stopped me. "Both of you in the front now." He said firmly. I nodded and sat in the passenger seat. KC was on my lap, facing me, with his head on my chest. I rubbed his back and started to hum.

"Katie?" KC said and I looked at him to continue. "Can you sing a song?"

"I'm just gonna hum now... I can sing later, okay?" I said and he nodded. The rest of the drive was silent. When we got near my house, I pointed to a random house, nearby my house, for Isaac to park. "Thanks for the ride." I said to him getting out of the car while KC was asleep in my arms. It was now almost 6 and my dad was gonna being mad. I started to walk but Isaac follows me. "What are you doing?" I asked him.

"I'm coming with you." He said getting next to me. I sighed and looked down at KC.

"OK, but you HAVE to do as I say... Or you have to leave, okay? I don't want to have to deal with my dad getting angry today." I said and he nodded. I mean I wanted to get to know my mate. The only problem was that this wasn't just anyone, it was an alpha. We walked for 5 minutes before we got to my house. I walked up and unlocked the door. I set mine and KC's book bags on the floor in the closet before I saw my dad. He was standing in the kitchen door frame and he looked mad.

"Why are you so late? And who is this? Why is he here?" My dad asked angrily.

"Well I picked up KC and he got tired so I carried him, and because of that it took longer. And this is Isaac. Me and him have a project to do and he walked to come over." I said nervously. "I'll go put KC in bed... Then I'll be back down." I said heading up the stairs with Isaac following.

"Ok but hurry up! I got to talk to you! And don't think I'll go easy cause this guy is here!" He yelled up the stairs. I pulled down the covers and laid KC in bed.

Before we could make it out the door he said, "Isaac?" Then Isaac looked toward him. "Please don't let daddy hurt sissy again."

"I won't let him touch her, KC." Isaac said then we left the room. I walked down stairs into the kitchen, where my dad is looking in the sink.

"You wanted to talk." I say in a low voice.

"Yes, well you see what I see?" He said still looking into the sink. I walked over and looked to see a bowl.

"A bowl?" I said confused.

"Yes, a bowl! Don't be a smart-ass!" He said. "What is wrong with the bowl?"

"It's not washed?" I said just a little confused.

"Why is it there?" He said and then I remembered this is my job to do. I sighed knowing what will happen.

"I'm sorry, I was going to be late this morning and left it there... I'll clean it now." I said walking over to the sink. When I got there, he banged my head down against the counter. Once that happened, I look up at him and feel my head. There was blood coming everywhere. I didn't know he hit me that hard, then I noticed I hit the corner of the counter. I look over to Isaac who was shaking incredibly fast.

"Now wash the dish!" My dad yells, shaking the back of my head. I didn't realize how much my head was throbbing. I collapsed to the floor and then Isaac lunges at my dad. He punched him right in the nose and blood ran out. He landed a few more punches before he stood up. My eyes started to close but I could hear everything.

"Now I think you should leave unless you want me to hit you again?" Isaac spat at my father and he got up. "Now don't come back until you get help!" Isaac said pushing my father out the door and locking it. He ran over to me and picked me up. Then I blacked out.

ISAAC'S POV

Katie passed out in my arms. When I turn around, I see her brother standing there. It looked like he was about to cry. "Now, KC, I need you to listen to me, ok?" I said and he nodded. "Show me to her room." I said and he ran up the stairs into her room.

I followed right after him and I set Katie down on her bed. "Do you know where the first aid kit is?" I asked KC. He nodded and walked into a bathroom, then came back out with the first aid kit. I cleaned her cut and put a bandage over it. I put the first aid kit back in the bathroom and when I came out Katie started to wake up. I ran over to her and she smiled.