Chapter 29 - It didn't fit.

I opened my eyes to be surrounded with white. The white ceiling with the white walls, it was all just too white. My eyes stopped when I moved my hand to feel hair. I looked down to find Mason sitting beside me in a chair, but he'd fallen asleep with his head on the bed. He wasn't facing me, but it felt good to know that he cared enough to stay at my bedside. 

Suddenly, the room's door opened and a middle-aged female doctor walked in.

Mason jerked up and stared at her before looking up at me, "you're awake," he sighed and he looked relieved but it was always hard to tell with him. 

"Mr. Wilson, may I speak to Ms. Rai alone, please?" She asked after looking up from her clipboard. She smiled kindly and Mason nodded.

"Ah, yeah sure. It's nothing serious right?"

She shook her head, "No, it looks like Neurocardiogenic syncope, which is mostly normal and short term. I just need to ask her some questions." He nodded again before glancing at me once and leaving. 

She used the bed's remote to bring my head up, "How are you feeling?" She asked casually. 

I shrugged, "I feel fine." I answered honestly. 

She nodded, "yeah everything looks normal now. Your blood pressure was low and your heartbeat slow when you got here but it's fine now. I'm mostly concerned with how this happened in the first place?"

She looked me in the eye, and I felt unusually nervous. "I'm not sure." 

 I felt like I was in an interrogation as she crossed her arms and pursed her lips, "Well in your file it says that you've had this happen a couple times before?" It sounded more like a question. I inhaled sharply and nodded. "But that was all in a span of a couple of weeks and you haven't had it reoccurring since then." She paused, and watched me, before continuing, "What I'm asking is, why? Because it could be tied to today's case." 

I looked down from her piercing gaze because I knew that it probably was tied to today.  

Last time I started having panic attacks and fainting were when I told my parents about Scott and this time Mason told me that he knew about me and Scott.  "I'm not sure," I repeated.

She sighed, "I'm predicting that it must be a recurring amount of stress you're putting on yourself. I'm not sure what happened back then, but considering the fact that you were just about to sign the papers to make your marriage official... leads me to think that you don't want to get married, or are being forced into it." She ended her sentence slowly, watching me carefully. "I'm sworn to confidentiality, you can tell me." I added. 

Although I was forced into the marriage and the situation was incredibly stressful, I was sure that it mainly had nothing to do with me fainting. "I have been going through some stress but it's not because of the wedding, honestly," I answer, trying to look as convincing as possible. 

She sighed again, before backing away, as if giving up. "Okay, if you're sure. I have no reason to keep you here any longer. But if you feel more confused than usual, or suddenly nauseous, dizzy, tired or sweaty, try to take a seat and rest. If you still feel off, come to the hospital, understand?" 

I nodded, "yes."  I'd heard all this before. 

The doctor took the clipboard and walked to the door and yanked it opened before turning, "bye and have a happy wedded life." 

I smiled, crap, that was close. But I really did have to talk to Mason. How did he find out about us? But most importantly, what did he know that pushed him to get us married?

The door opened soon after, and I was expecting Mason, but it wasn't. It was Mr. and Mrs. Wilson. I gulped loudly because I could feel the tension in the air. It was hanging in the room like dark smoke.