t h i r t y o n e

|ThirtyOne|

|ThirtyOne|

"What can I say?" I said a little breathlessly, "I learn from the best."

His boyish smirk graced his lips for the umpteenth time. "You sure do darling." He paused to glance at his watch and tapped the face, "Come on, it's time."

The four short lexical choices dribbled to a standstill in my throat - I swallowed dryly. "O-okay."

Lucifer murmured as his hands intertwined with mine: Ying and Yang. "I'm right here darling. I'm not going anywhere without you."

I nodded, allowing Lucifer to take me by the hand and direct me out of the portal of his bedroom and then again through the portal leading to the Dome. He didn't let go of my hand once, his thumb pressed into my palm, soothing my nerves as he strode ahead, me in tow.

The others were already there: prepared. It was a funny sight to see them standing outside of the Dome all clad in black, coordinating outfits. Even the Archangels had borrowed the Demons clothes. It's not like the Light Paradox owned a shade darker than grey. Aggy was standing with her game-face on - she looked like someone had ripped a character from an action manga with her long, dark hair brushed up into a tight pony-tail. Tiel was standing next to her, her face equally as blank -set in stone. Her naturally wavy red hair had been straightened and pinned back. Together they looked like the definition of fearless and ready to Carpe Noctem.

Why was I the only one seemingly frightened? 

Bal stood closest to us, his fingers resting lowly on the steel of his dagger. At our arrival, he gave us both a curt nod and pointed East. "That's where we are heading," he said lowly. His lack of detail didn't surprise me.

"Noted." I felt Lucifer's fingers grip mine a little tighter in reassurance.

Aggy slinked through the small group of supernatural soldiers and handed me a sharp pocket knife. "I know you're not a fan of weapons but keep this nearby, just in case."

I sucked in a nervous breath and took the knife from her, slipping the blade into the strap around my left ankle. I wanted to forget it was there. Forget about the possibility that I would need to use it and defend myself only my weak hopes were abolished as the cold blade pressed against my ankle. I could feel the hard handle against the bone.

Tiel appeared next to me, "Are you ready?" She patted my shoulder. No, I wanted to say- but I couldn't. I had to be brave. "Yes."