The Fate of the Hippogriff

The day of Buckbeak’s trial was tense and emotionally charged. Even though he had been thoroughly prepped and reassured by both Ariella and Hermione Grainger, Hagrid kept bursting in wild fits of crying and tears and Ariella had spent most of the day calming him back down. She wasn’t sure how either of them managed to conduct classes most of the day. And it only got worse when they were actually standing outside of the courtroom.

“Hagrid, it will be alright. You have me on your side,” Ariella remarked as she attempted to ease the half-giant’s worries over the fate of his beloved Hippogriff.  Hagrid wailed once again in despair before blowing his nose into his rather large handkerchief.

“An’ wha’ if they don’ like Buckbeak?” Hagrid questioned for the hundredth time in a giant sob. Ariella sighed as she patted his arm.

“I don’t see why they wouldn’t love Buckbeak just as much as you or I, Hagrid. Just tell them about Buckbeak and explain what happened to Mr. Malfoy was an accident and they’ll see it wasn’t his fault.  I’m sure the judge is not a cruel man. Besides, both you and I and no doubt Lucius Malfoy know that this entire dilemma was caused by his idiotic offspring” Ariella replied as she watched Albus chat with Minister Fudge and Lucius Malfoy a little ways down the hallway.

“Hagrid, I know it's hard. But you have to stop crying, alright?”

“Aye,” he answered as he blew his nose one more time. Ariella nodded when she noticed the Headmaster's questioning gaze. Albus led the minister and Lucius Malfoy down the hall toward the pair and he smiled when he reached his colleagues and pleasantries were exchanged.

“Miss Cross, always a pleasure to see you my dear. I hear you are settling in quite nicely at Hogwarts,” Cornelius Fudge commented as he shook Ariella’s hand. She smiled easily and nodded her head.  

“Yes, Minister. I hope my gift reached you well enough?”

“Yes, yes. It was very delicious,” Cornelius Fudge replied as she turned to the man at his side. Ariella tensed before stretching out her hand to shake Lucius’s hand.

“Lucius Malfoy, it’s been awhile,” Ariella remarked in a faux polite tone. Lucius smirked and Ariella’s skin crawled. Even more so when he squeezed Ariella’s smaller hand in his.

“Indeed it has, Professor Cross,” He spat out the word as if it were poison in his mouth. Hagrid glared at the blonde man as he moved to stand behind Ariella. Cornelius didn’t seem to notice the tension and hostility that suddenly filled the air.

“I must admit I wasn’t very surprised to hear that you quit your job in the Ministry to come teach. You have always seemed to be oddly attached to Hogwarts and my son has said quite a few things about your class,” Malfoy sneered as he passed a wayward glance at the Minister of Magic. Ariella pressed her lips together in a fine line as she narrowed her eyes on the blonde man. She hoped her mere gaze would set him ablaze.

“And what do you do, Mr. Malfoy? I forget. I remember your father having a job in the ministry, but I haven’t heard of your career,” Ariella replied suddenly with a pleasant smirk. Lucius glared at her before the two of them returned their attention to the Minister and the Headmaster.

“Hagrid, I think it’s time.” Cornelius remarked as Hagrid nodded. Ariella knew he was bothered by the fact that Buckbeak’s hearing wasn’t at Hogwarts where he could show off the creature. Instead, they were in one of the many courtrooms in the Ministry of Magic. Ariella felt for him. Hagrid loved and respected Buckbeak like he did any and all of the animals he came in contact with. She would hate to see his heart broken simply because Lucius Malfoy was a prick with connections and a grudge.