Leaving It Empty

The day for Remus to leave came far too soon for Ariella and Harry. The two stood next to one another as Remus finished packing the last of his belongings. Ariella had her arm wrapped around Harry’s shoulders as they watched the werewolf clap his hands together to rid himself of some of the dust and dirt from his things.

“Well, I believe that’s the last of it,” Remus announced as he turned to the pair.

“Do you really have to go?” Harry questioned as Remus chuckled and smiled softly.

“I’m afraid so, Harry. Letters are already starting to pour in. Parents don’t want someone like me teaching their children,” Remus replied with a shrug. Ariella frowned at the thought.

“Well then they are a bunch of bloody pillocks. You are a brilliant teacher and that has nothing to do with…”

“The fact that I turn into howling monster every month?” Remus finished as Ariella huffed in annoyance. She had and probably never would understand while Remus put himself down so much.

“Elle, not even you, can defend me this time. Look at what I did to your face,” he pointed to the slowly healing wound that stretched across Ariella’s cheeks and nose.

“Please. It makes me look more rugged. I’ve had several students tell me how daring I look,” Ariella responded with a light giggle. Remus chuckled, but Ariella could see the guilt and pain in his golden eyes every time he saw the injury. She wondered if it reminded him of the years before they became animagi when he only had himself during the change and he would attack himself just to keep from hurting anyone else.

“But I hurt you, my friend. Think about what would’ve happened if you or Sirius or Snape hadn’t stopped me!” Remus spoke softly as Harry tensed underneath Ariella’s arm. He remembered the moment he had watched his favorite teacher transform into a werewolf and then get lured away by the smiling blonde next to him and his fugitive god-father. Ariella barely felt Harry’s tensing underneath her own tense muscles. The mention of Severus Snape had her on edge. She had been hiding from him like a coward since their fight. In fact, she avoided any place that she may encounter the bitter Potions Master and she had begun to eat her meals in her office with Trixie. Remus noticed both Ariella and Harry seemed to be lost in their own worlds at the moment and he almost wished he could take back his earlier statement. Harry returned to the present moment faster than Ariella.

“But you didn’t! And what happened wasn’t your fault,” Harry remarked as Ariella shook herself out of the daze she had fallen into.

“Harry’s right, Remus. I’ve been with you countless times and before this, you’ve never hurt me.” Ariella added as she released her grip on Harry’s shoulders and walked toward her friend. Remus smiled at her.

“One time is all it takes, Elle,” he answered in a voice that spoke of experience.

“But this wasn’t that one time, Moony,” Ariella soothed in a sweet voice before she pulled Remus against her in tight hug. It only took the werewolf a second before he wrapped his arms around the blonde and held her close.

“You can’t disappear again this time, do you understand?” Ariella whispered.

“Never again, Elle. Never again,” Remus responded before the two of them separated and Remus patted Harry on the shoulder. Harry smiled before he wrapped his arms tight around the man’s waist.

***

Severus glared at his door. He imagined Ariella slamming it open to either apologize or demand he explain himself, but neither happened. In fact, he had seen neither hide nor hair of the blonde professor. If he didn’t know Ariella Cross, he would think she was hiding from him. No, he knew exactly what she was doing: the smart thing. She was staying as far away from him as wizardly possible. It was what she should’ve done from the very moment the two of them met in Potions first year. He tried to ignore the damnable emptiness that filled his heart now that he was no longer tied to her. He told himself he was made of something stronger and that he didn’t need her. His thoughts just echoed hollowly. He fought the urge to climb to his feet and search for the insufferable witch who had made him feel so hollow and empty. It wouldn’t do any good. He knew it wouldn’t. Severus wasn’t aware he was walking until loud chattering brought him out of his stupor. Students were leaving the Great Hall for the final lunch of the year.

“Can you believe Professor Lupin is a werewolf?” One hushed whisper caught his attention as he noted that it came from a group of Hufflepuff first years.

“I had no idea! He was so nice!” Severus frowned. Out of spite, he had let it slip that Remus was a werewolf and deep down, he had known it would hurt Ariella. The only problem was he hadn’t seen Ariella in order to bask in his revenge. He pushed past all of the students and started up the stairs. Almost as if she knew she was at the center of his thoughts, Ariella appeared from a nearby hallway with her arm wrapped around Remus Lupin’s with a bright smile spread across her face. Every fiber in his body went into overdrive, but the only thing he wanted to do was hide; if only to keep that ridiculous smile on her face.

“Oh, Remus, I’m going to miss you so much,” her voice was soft and musical.  Severus couldn’t stop the sneer that curled his lip. Suddenly, the world stopped. Ariella’s amethyst eyes met Severus’ slate ones and both froze to their respective spots.

“Elle, I’m just…” Remus’s eyes widened when he managed to catch sight of what had caused his friend to stand motionless.

“Severus, good afternoon,” he greeted. Severus either ignored him or couldn’t hear him since he was focused solely on the blonde at Remus’s side.

“Cross,”

“Snape,” Remus almost wanted to laugh. Each of them were trying to act as if they weren’t affected by each other but they were so affected by each other that they were acting the same.

“What are you doing out of your dark hole?” Ariella’s voice was barely above a whisper. Severus felt it wrap around him.

“I fail to see how that is any of your business, Cross,” Severus hissed. The bubble that had surrounded the group suddenly popped. Ariella’s eyes narrowed into slits.

“I keep expecting you to burst into flames every time the sunshine hits your face, Snape. Maybe I’m just being hopeful,” she growled before she tugged Remus behind her as she pushed past the furious Potions Master.

Ariella was almost around the corner before she steeled herself and stole a glance at Severus standing on the stairs. She was shocked to find his eyes searching her out, but the pain in her heart kept her from stopping completely. He wasn’t good for her. He never had been. It was time she realized it. It was time she learned not to trust the enigmatic man anymore.

Too bad, they still had to teach at the same school.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well it has been a wild and crazy ride! This is the last chapter for Serendipity (Book 2) but never fear! Ariella Cross will be back in Serendipity (Book 3)!! Now it gets good! Will Ariella and Severus get back together? What about Sirius being back in the picture? Oh yeah, and the Triwizard Tournament is happening! What kind of mayhem will ensue?! 

Be sure to stick around for Serendipity (Book 3)! 

Also, a big thanks to all of my fans for sticking with me. Honestly you guys are amazing and so understanding! I love you guys! :D