Chapter 4

"How do I look?" Carlton asked after Dani straightened his tie. She nodded and said, "Lookin' good, Pops! You'll make her swoon." She did a dramatic impression of swooning and Carlton chuckled, "Alright, alright. Are you sure you're okay with this?"

Sighing, she told him, "For the hundredth time, yes! Dad, it's been sixteen years since mom. It's about time you met someone." He gave her a small smirk and asked, "When did you grow up?" She just smiled and gave him a hug.

When she pulled away, he looked to his watch. "Well, I guess I better get going. I won't be home too late, but I left you some money in the kitchen for pizza or whatever else you want." He put on his jacket and smoothed down the creases. "Bye, baby girl," he said, before kissing Dani's cheek. 

"Bye, dad, have fun!" He closed the front door and took a deep breath. He was very nervous. This was the first serious date he'll be on since he and Cassie. He's gone out with women here or there, but this one was different for some reason. He's been seeing this one for nearly a month now. 

He drove to the restaurant and got there on time for their table to be ready, but she wasn't there yet. So, he ordered wine and waited, then waited a little more. Finally, he saw her walk through the door. She was looking rushed and flustered as she looked for him. 

After giving a small wave, he called, "Kat!" Kat looked over to him and seemed relieved. She quickly walked over, then said, "I am so sorry! Things were crazy down at the office!" Carlton pulled her chair out for her and she sat down. 

"That's quite alright," he told her. "I remember the days I would be so busy, I would forget if it was night or day." She laughed and put her hand over his. He nearly jumped from the gesture and seemed oddly uncomfortable with it.

"How are you?" She asked. He gave a small smile and said, "Fine. I've just been helping Dani with her homework most of the day. You?" She let out a long sigh and Carlton could tell this was going to be a long one. 

As much as he tried to listen...he just couldn't. She was going on and on about her co-workers and bosses, clients she's encountered all week. She was an interesting and pretty woman, but...something just wasn't right. It felt right before, but something was bothering him now. 

"Benedict!" She called, making him jump. "Where did you go?" He let out a light laugh and said, "I'm right here. Sorry, I just...something isn't right." She looked at him oddly, then asked, "What's wrong?" 

He slid his hand out from her's and put it in his lap. "Um...Kat, listen...I was going to ask you something tonight. I talked it over with Dan and she was okay with it, she likes you enough." Kat stared at him with a dreamy look. "Oh, Benedict,"she sighed. "Yes. Yes, I will be your girlfriend! I've been waiting for this for a few weeks now, I must admit--."

"Kat," he interrupted. She cocked her head as he slowly shook his. "I...I can't do this," he told her. "I know I said I was fine and that I was over it, but my wife...she invades my every sense. I realize it's been almost seventeen years, but I can't do this and I hate myself for it."

Kat looked like she was just hit by a freight train. "Wow," she breathed. "Well, Ben, you were the first decent guy I've seen in a while. I thought you were different. Turns out, you're just like the rest; completely non-commital."

She took the napkin from her lap and threw it on the table, before standing up. "Kat," he sighed, "at least let me buy you dinner." She took her purse from the back of the chair and said, "Like that'll make up for the month of hopes you built up! Goodbye, Benedict." 

He watched as she angrily walked out. The waiter came over to him and politely asked if his guest was coming back. "No," he told him. "If I could just order to-go, that would be lovely." He ordered a couple of entrées and two pieces of cheesecake.