Chapter 5

One Year Later

"You, little miss busy bee, need to take a break. You, too, mister busy bee." Carlton picked up the empty Starbucks coffee cups that were surrounding the intensely studying couple. Dani looked up at Carlton and said, "We can't. Finals are tomorrow and we need to study as much as we can."

Carlton gave her an odd look, then said, "You both got into Harvard for God's sakes. And on a full scholarship. What more can you possibly do?" Ryan took Dani's hand and said, "He's right, Dan. Maybe we should go out or something for a few hours, then when we come back, we can continue."

Dani looked back and forth between her dad and he boyfriend. She sighed heavily, then shut her book. "Fine," she said, "but if we go out, I want lots of pizza and lots of ice cream." Ryan smiled, then kissed her cheek. "Deal," he told her. "I'll go grab our coats."

He got up and went into the living room, while Dani slowly stood and stretched. "So," Carlton said, as he washed a couple of plates in the sink, "have you decided what your living arrangements are going to be? You only leave in a month." That thought made him incredibly depressed. 

Dani went up to him and said, "Well, seeing as we're both going to the same school, we thought that...we'd get an apartment together." Carlton nearly dropped the plate in his hand and looked at her. "Live together?" He asked. "You and Ryan? Dani, I...I don't think that's such a good idea." 

She crossed her arms and had confusion written all over her face. "Why not?" She asked. As he dried his hands, he told her, "Because you've only been together a year. I know you're in love and I know you're going strong, but I just wouldn't be comfortable with it. Don't get me wrong, he's a great kid and I think he's brought out so much more in you, but I'm afraid if you make this decision, you might regret it, which makes me uncomfortable. Not mention the thought of you sharing a bed and what-not."

Dani looked more mad than confused now. "Seriously?" She scoffed. "Well...this isn't your decision!" Carlton raised his eyebrows at her and said, "Excuse me? Don't talk to me like that, I am your father and if I say you can't move in with your boyfriend at eighteen years old, then I have that say. It's not happening, Dani."

Ryan then came back into the room with the coats in his hand. "Man, I thought the couch ate my jacket or something because I couldn't find...what happened?" Dani just shook her head at Carlton and scoffed. "You don't control my life," she told him. "I'm an adult and I'm sure if mom were here, she'd say the same."

Carlton shook his head and told her, "If your mother were here, she would agree with me. It's too soon and it's not happening. As a matter of fact, why don't you go up to your room and stay there for the rest of the night because you're not going out. Ryan, I'm afraid you're going to have to leave." 

Dani looked at him as if he were the most absurd human being on the planet. Ryan just looked incredibly confused. "Um...yeah, sure, Mr. C.," he said, not wanting to piss off his girlfriend's father anymore than he clearly was. 

Before Ryan could turn to leave, Dani took his hand and said, "No. We're going out. We'll be back later." She started dragging Ryan to the door as Carlton followed. "Danielle, if you walk out that door, you're grounded until you move out!"

As she opened the door, she said, "Oh, a whole month, how awful! God, I wish mom were here instead of you!" With that, she slammed the door shut, leaving Carlton raging with anger and completely dumbfounded. What in the hell just happened? He's never grounded her before because he's never needed to. Was he overreacting? Was she? What was happening?

A few hours later, he found himself sitting at a bar with Johnny. "Sounds tough, man," Johnny told him. "I do agree that she should not be moving in with him this soon and at that young of age. Shit, if Cass did that, I would be fuming."