Chapter 35

Will looked up in surprise as Ruby and I entered the door loaded down with bags of mushrooms. She had offered to carry both of the larger bags due to her greater strength, leaving me to carry the one small bag.

Ruby gave Will a long suffering look. "You are lucky that you have Enforcer stamina. Your little mate is a handful to keep up with once she gets going."

Will started chuckling. "How on earth did she convince you to go mushroom picking again? I thought you hated it."

She groaned as she put her bags on the floor. "I don't like picking mushrooms, but it gives me a chance to talk to her about masked scent trails without distractions - or so I thought anyways. The biggest problem is simply keeping her on track. You can be in the middle of a conversation and she will disappear under a bush or she will change the topic with lightning speed if she smells a truffle or unusual plant."

Will looked shocked; he had obviously never heard Ruby talk so much in one go. She had really loosened up throughout the day. I was not walking beside the same werewolf that had helped me fold the tablecloth this morning.

I grinned at Will. "Next change of topic, what are you doing here so early? You usually train for several hours longer than this."

I once more felt Ruby's frustration as she managed to miss something unusual that was obvious to me. She was getting quite irritated at herself for not noticing such things, but she was determined to improve. Her intense focus was now hidden deep. I could sense it, but couldn't see it. She had a newfound dream of any foe constantly underestimating her after the torment and surprises that I had put her through all morning and afternoon.

Will smiled at me, although he was still unsure of what to make of this new Ruby. He said, "We have Alpha Mike and Beta Trevor staying overnight while discussing trade. They are a neighboring pack that we get along with well. They should be here shortly."

He raised an eyebrow as he continued, "Apparently, we have been taking those truffles you keep finding to the auctions, and they are fetching very high prices since they are so uncommon at this time of year. The fact that we have sold over a dozen in a few weeks is attracting attention."

Ruby picked up all three bags of mushrooms and started walking towards the side door that led to the kitchen. She paused and said, "We'll have to do this again in a few days. See you later."

"Thanks for the help. Just let me know when you want to go again."

"Will do." She left the room as the door swung closed behind her.

Will watched her go in shock. He turned to me with wide eyes. "What did you do with Ruby? I have known her since we were little, and the person that just left the room is not Ruby."

I felt Ruby's amusement and sense of achievement as she overheard his comments from her hiding spot down the hallway. She was looking forward to seeing other people's reactions. Looking at him with an innocent expression, I replied, "Nothing really. We took a few runs through some bramble bushes, climbed a few trees, splashed around in a creek, and dug up a few truffles."

He rolled his eyes and replied in a dry voice, "Of course..."

I grinned evilly as a silent admission to being guilty, and spoke in a low evil voice, "Oh yeah, I drove her crazy too."

He chuckled and shook his head. "I am curious to see how long these changes stick."

I grinned up at him mischievously. "That depends on how much longer I can keep tricking her into thinking that she actually dislikes collecting mushrooms."

Will roared with laughter, and I felt a jolt of emotions pass through Ruby's mind from her eavesdropping location. The reverse psychology would likely drive her crazy all night long as she tried to unravel what I meant. She had no clue that I knew she was there and was able to sense her presence and emotions. So far only the Alpha, Luna, Will, Tiffany, and a handful of others knew that I had been an Omega and still possessed those abilities. None of them would mention it until I wanted to make it known.

Until Ruby came along, no one else had ever examined me carefully enough to realize that there was more under the surface than meets the eye. At the moment, she was the only one who could see the rogue that I had carefully hidden beneath the surface. I was kind of looking forward to messing with Ruby's head in the future.

I went with Will to enjoy some time together before our guests arrived.