Chapter 44

I munched on an apple as I examined Tiffany's new shoulder accessory. Nathan was much more relaxed now that she had his mark on her collarbone. With a smirk, I commented, "Well, now I know why you two were conspicuously absent last night."

Tiffany grinned at me, unrepentant. "We made it longer than you two did. Besides, Nathan has told me that he loves my lingerie collection."

Nathan leaned over so his mouth was near her ears. "Ah, but they are much lovelier when they adorn your body."

His whisper was soft, but our hearing was keen, and we were right there. Samantha shook her head in faint disgust as she proclaimed, "Okay you two, not at the breakfast table."

They both grinned at her before resuming their own breakfasts. Ruby wandered over to talk with me. "Sylvia is hoping that we can check out the eastern forest in hopes of more truffles. Care to join me? Half of that area is under bramble bushes."

I replied, "Sure, come find me once breakfast is over." She nodded and went to grab her own breakfast. Tiffany shook her head, still unable to figure out how the aloof die-hard fighter was volunteering to go find valuable fungus.

~

       I dug the truffle out of the ground. Ruby sat nearby while watching since she couldn't fit under the bramble bush. I carried it over to her and continued exploring the undersides of the sprawling plants.

My nose was focused on scents, but that left my mind plenty of time of wander. It had been three days since my discovery, and I had managed to discreetly dispose of the tests in a dumpster behind a restaurant.

I kept mulling ideas over in my mind on how to tell Will. I kind of wanted to surprise him, but wasn't sure how. It wasn't something that I had ever contemplated. Oddly enough, I figured that if I could get Tiffany alone, she would have some great ideas - if she didn't scream the secret out at the top of her lungs the very instant she found out...

Evan's voice rang out across the pack-wide mindlink with authority, "We are under attack. All non-fighters retreat to the safe houses. On-duty warriors head to the southern border; all other fighters protect the safe houses."

I ran out from under the thorn bush, and Ruby grabbed me by the scruff of my neck before racing back to town full-tilt. Will's voice entered my mind, and I could feel his Enforcer abilities fully awakened at the front of his mind.

"Jade, where are you?"

"About ten minutes from town the way Ruby is running. We are heading for a safe house."

He sighed in relief. "Good. Stay safe."

I had no intentions of dying anytime soon and sent a wordless agreement and love down the link. His presence faded from my mind as he dropped the link as he continued to race to the border to help with the threat.

Ruby made it to the nearest of the three safe houses, and the gathered fighters parted to let her and others through. Ruby didn't put me down until we were inside. She immediately turned and left; as a fighter, she was needed outside.

I glanced around the room at the various elderly people, women, and children. A couple of women were pregnant and holding their stomachs. All in here were non-combatants. Those who wanted to attempt to help the defenders, but only had minimal training or ability were kept close to the doors. I was here since a runt wouldn't be as strong or as fast as another wolf.

I shifted into human form and sat in a corner before extending my senses. I could feel the anger and protective mindset of the fighters outside. Those inside were either worried, afraid, or were bored and simply waiting to be let out. I didn't think it was a practice drill though.

My Omega senses had picked up undertones in both Evan's and Will's mindvoice that had me on edge. I pushed my senses further away, sensing similar situations at the other two safe houses. The pack mindlink had various discussions going at once, but no one had lost a mate or family member yet.

My instincts that had been honed in no man's land were telling me that something was wrong though. I strained my senses as I pushed my awareness past the town's edge; these senses had never been meant for long distance usage and I couldn't extend them that far.

I saw a few sparks that were lone attackers racing through the forest around the town. This mere handful wouldn't even be a challenge for the defenders outside. But how had they gotten this far when at least a hundred warriors were along the border?

I went to touch Will's mind and try to get a sense of what he was up to, but his mind was blocked. I shifted uneasily as I tried to find a way through it. The block wasn't a mind shield that one could raise if they chose; this was an unawareness that I had only felt once when someone had been knocked out cold. Was Will okay?

My heart contracted as I thought of him injured. He was an Enforcer and would probably be leading any attack. As a powerful fighter, any Enforcer would also be a main target to attempt to cripple a pack's defenses. I did know that he was alive, and I hadn't felt any major disturbances in the mate bond that would alert me if he had been seriously injured. Something wasn't adding up, and I didn't like it.

I mindlinked Ruby who was standing guard outside, "Use caution; something isn't right. I can't find Will through the mate bond; it is like he is unconscious. Do you have any idea what is going on?"

Her mind voice was tight with strain. "None of the Enforcers are responding. Most of the warriors are also silent. We have no idea what is going on at the border. Do not open the door unless we mindlink you that it is safe."

"Keep your eyes open; some attackers are bound to have slipped through the cracks if we can't get through to our fighters." My mind voice was worried, but I was keeping calm.

I could feel my survival instincts kicking in, and I was beginning to wish that I had remained in the forest and gone down a rabbit burrow. I was cornered in here, and the sheer number of fighters in the area outside more or less screamed that a safe house was somewhere in the vicinity.

I was worried for Will; most attackers would kill Enforcers given a chance since they were the biggest threat. I kept trying the mate bond, but got no response. I tried to think of ideas as I listened to the main packlink; people kept calling out across the link, but fewer of the more distant warriors responded.

There was no way that my senses could reach much beyond the edge of the town, and zero chance of sensing what was going on at the border. I pushed my senses to their limits once more; the handful of strangers were still circling the area, but didn't approach the fighters. What were they waiting for? I wasn't sure that I wanted to know the answer.