42. Scars

M I K E
The more she talked, the more I realized that she was hurting inside and she hid that behind a smile. "Every morning I wake up, upset. Upset to see myself still alive. I'm tired Mike because I need Jack. He was like my brother and now he's gone. Mike, i haven't told anyone this, but Jack died in front of me. He took his last breath in front of me and it fuckin haunts me!" Tears streamed down her cheeks and she hugged me. I held her tight in my arms. I'm not going to let you down this time. Catherine quietly sobbed into my chest. Soon her sobs turned to quiet snores. I picked her up, something fell out of her hoodie. I looked to the floor, it was a razor. I laid her on the bed and pulled her sleeve up. There were scars. New and old ones. "No." I whispered. I took the razor and put it in my pocket. I kissed her scars. "I'm sorry if I made you look at yourself ugly. But you're not, I swear. I was so stupid for cheating on you-" I quietly sobbed, "Mikey, why are you crying?" Catherine asked. I looked at her, knowing she isn't going to remember in the morning. "Oh it's nothing. Come on let's go to sleep." I cuddled up next to her. "Are you sure?" She smiled. "I'm sure." I cuddled her in my arms and watched as she slowly went back to sleep. That was until I realized that tonight was the first time I ever saw Catherine smile when she saw me. My heart broke a little when I saw her smile because I knew she was drunk and high. I know she hasn't stayed sober since we broke up. I looked down at her and kissed her forehead.
"I love you."