XI • 11

You'd had fun with Sherlock that morning. It hadn't been what you would normally have thought of as 'fun', but he had kept you busy and entertained. You supposed you had widened each other's areas of interest quite a bit.

Earlier

Sherlock stepped to the side as you scooted up to the kitchen counter where he was working. He handed you eye protection and disposable gloves. "What's the experiment?" you asked, putting on the gloves then pushing the goggles over your eyes. You looked up at him for an answer and had to smile at the way his curls had been pushed up his forehead to make room for the goggles. Sherlock, unawares of the amusement you found in his hair, tried to answer your question. "I'm testing different blood types and tallying their reactions to various stimulants."
"Ah." You replied, trying to sound like you completely understood but failing miserably. Sherlock shook his head in frustration, but you could see a small smile.
"Here." he handed you a vial of blood labelled 'AB' and a syringe. "Take exactly half a millilitre and put one drop on this slide and one drop on that one." He pointed to two small glass strips on the counter in front of you.
You took the simple task very seriously, pulling the plunger on the syringe back just so, then squeezing it ever so slightly, once on each slide.
"Like so?" You asked Sherlock. He turned to look. "Yes, good, thank you."
He had continued to assign you simple tasks like this until you had taken off your gloves and goggles, announcing that you had to go to work.
You had been laughing together, having quite a lot of fun, but you could see his spirits fall when you said this.
"Don't worry Sherl, I'll be back." You winked and ruffled his curls, then kissed him on the cheek.
He would normally have never let anyone call him that. But secretly, he rather liked it when you did.
You gathered up your things and called over your shoulder, "Bis Später, Sherlock. (See you later, Sherlock.)"
He seemed slightly surprised, but replied in turn. "Dir auch einen schönen Tag, (F/N) (Have a good day, (F/N)"
You smiled to yourself. He speaks German too. How nice.

******
You smiled, recalling this morning.
His excitement at having a home lab partner kept you chipper all day. Your shift seemed to fly by, and it was only after you were halfway home that you realised Jim hadn't been there. Strange. Oh well.
You turned your phone on and were surprised that the only text you had was from Kenzie, your best friend in Scotland. It was a picture of your dog, apparently at a park, happy as could be.
'He misses you.'
You smiled. For Kenzie, that translated to 'I miss you'.
'I miss you too, Kenz.'
You smiled again and sent your reply. Kenzie had been the best of friends. She had sat with you when you were upset about John going to the war, when you had bawled after hearing that he had gotten shot and then sick. John was everything to you, and she knew that. When you went to visit him in London, expecting to only be gone a month, she had graciously offered to keep your dog. When John had asked you to move in, she had readily allowed him to stay. 'I like him anyway' She had said with a laugh.
Her reply came as you were walking through the door of your flat.
'When are you coming back to see us?'
'Whenever Sherlock allows me to leave without moping :P' You replied
'Sherlock?'
'Our child.' She was used to your sarcasm.
'But really, (N/N)'
You rolled your eyes. 'Our flatmate. He's... Needy.'
'You like him.' She replied, matter-of-factly.
Ugh. Best friends. They know everything.
'Not really. You should meet him.'
'I expect to. If you're not coming, I am.'
'If you can spare the time, that would be brilliant.'
'And I'm bringing the dog.'
You chuckled. 'Deal.'