Chapter Three.

As Catherine walked into the ballroom all the expectations others had of her appeared back on her shoulders, weighing her down, dragging her away from everything she wanted out of life. For a brief moment she actually believed what she told Jest was true, that she would turn down the King's offer. In that moment with Jest it seemed like the simplest thing to do, however standing in the ballroom surrounded by people and expectations, it seemed close to impossible.

Catherine sighed deeply trying to reassure herself that things would be fine. She couldn't be so hung up on her future because at the moment she had to put on an act. She just had to get through this ball. And another, and another until the King asks for her hand in marriage and she kindly refuses... Or would she? Cath shook her head, took a deep breath, put a smile on her face, and stepped back into reality. She couldn't question if she was going to say no to the King. It was something that had to be done.

She looked and walked around the ballroom with a smile on her face not knowing what to do. Cath looked around the crowds of people for any familiar face to talk to. Enough people were already staring at her because she was not with the King, she didn't need anymore staring at her because she was alone.

The nearest familiar thing was her raspberry macaroons at the dessert table. Cath had made about a hundred of them which was more than the usual amount she made for an event. Considering how much she did make she was surprised to only see a few left, the ball had only been going on for an hour. Cath picked up one of her raspberry macaroons, took a bite, and let the taste sit in her mouth before she swallowed. She closed her eyes while she enjoyed the second half. Her eyes quickly opened when she heard a laugh.

The laugh came from the person Cath wanted to avoid the most, the King. He was properly dressed in a black suit and shoes. The only thing wrong with his clothing choice was the fact that it looked a size too big, only making him look even bigger. He was also wearing a red tie.

"Lady Pinkerton." The King said nervously. "You seem to be enjoying those macaroons. I enjoyed them myself. I had about a dozen earlier, and I must say they were delicious."

Cath looked passed the King and saw her mother watching them. "Thank you, your majesty." She swallowed. "I made them for the enjoyment of others. I'm glad you found them delicious."

The King laughed his laugh. "I am a fan of everything you've made for me so far." Cath cringed. He thought she was baking for him. "Is something wrong?"

"No." Cath baked because it was her passion and she liked seeing others in awe of her sweets. She did not bake for the King. If a single person was who she baked for, it would be herself. She smiled. "Nothing is wrong. You were saying?"

The King's face was pink. It always shocked Cath seeing how fast his face could change colors. "J-Just that I've enjoyed everything I've had of yours so far."

That sentence already sounded better than the last. "Thank you." She said looking at the couple who had just gotten the last of her macaroons.

"I.... I have a request if you don't mind." Said the King. His voice cracked at request, and his eyebrows shot up. Cath nodded her head for him to continue. "Make pumpkin pie. Or, will you make me a pumpkin pie?"

She looked passed him again and to her mother who was no longer watching the two of them, but occasionally glancing their way, as if Catherine would mess everything up. Oh how badly did she want to mess everything up. It would mean an end to all these conversations with the King. "Of course." She said enthusiastically. "I'll bake a pumpkin pie for the next game of croquet, or the next ball."

"A-actually-" The King's hand was tapping at his side. "Actually...." His eyes widened and he waved his hands in the air trying to catch someone's attention. "Joker!" he yelled.

Cath looked to her side only to see Jest walking their way bouncing on the balls of his feet. Once he was standing by them he placed his thin hands behind his back. He leaned towards the King head first. "What would you like? A song for Lady Pinkerton?" He asked flashing a grin at Cath.

The King shook his head. "No, no, no. The letter. The Invitation."

"Ah." Jest leaned towards the King's ear. He put his hand infront of his mouth they way people do when they are trying to keep a secret. "I thought you wanted me to deliver her the invitation after the ball." Jest whispered loud enough for Cath to hear.

The King played along with Jest covering his mouth with his hand. "I forgot about that, yes." The King's whisper was more of a soft voice. Cath could hear every one of his words without trying to. "But don't you think that now is a suitable time as well?"

Jest looked at Cath then back to the King. "Suitable yes, but as romantic? No."

The King sighed. "Huh, you are right. It'll be much better to send her the invitation on a day with some sun."

The two of them started to whisper softly, and Cath could no longer make out what they were saying. She stood there watching the two of them, knowing that leaving wasn't an option.

After a short while Jest dropped his hand taking a step towards Cath. "Lady Pinkerton." He said smiling his eyes shining. "You seem to have a piece of paper on your shoulder."

Cath didn't respond for a few seconds, or rather she couldn't respond for a few seconds. "Oh, do I?" She asked quietly, looking at her shoulder after, not seeing anything.

Jest's dimples showed. "Yes, Lady Pinkerton."

The King coughed. "It seems like you do."

In a quick second Jest reached for her shoulder, and pulled his hand back afterwards. A piece of paper in his hand. He grabbed Cath's hand, opened it, placed the paper in her hand and closed it again. "We wouldn't want you losing that now would we?" He said still grinning at her.

"No." Catherine said regaining her composure.

Jest turned his attention back to the King. "Is that all you needed from me?" He asked. "A bit of advice about Landy Pinkerton?"

The King's face turned pink. "That is all Joker." He said. "Thank you."

Jest looked at Cath one last time mouthing the paper. He then bowed at the King, snapped his fingers and disappeared.

The King laughed a high pitched laugh and clapped his hands amazed of Jest. "That Joker!" He said confidently. "So many tricks up his sleeve."

"He's the best Joker hearts has ever seen." Cath said remembering what the King once said of Jest.

They stood in silence looking at the spot that Jest had been standing at. Cath could hear the King tapping his fingers again. "Lady Pinkerton." He said extending his hand out. "May I have this dance?"

Cath quickly slipped the piece of paper she had in a pocket, then reached for the King's hand.

=============================================================================================================================================================== Authors Note: Bless you guys for waiting for this chapter. I'm sorry I haven't updated in over a month. January was just really busy with it being the end of the semester. I will update regularly now. Every Tuesday, and Thursday. Also on Saturday or Sunday depending on if I have enough time for that. For sure I will for this week considering how long I've been away. Thank you guys again for understanding. You guys are great! 2/2/17