7

"Are you sure you'll be fine?" Dan asked for the twentieth time, and for the twentieth time, I nodded back. "Because I could stay home and call in sick—"

"No. Go to work and make the dough," I replied, practically shoving him towards the door when he tried to stay. "We can't both be lying on the couch, mostly because you take up the entire thing on your own, but also because that's just ridiculous. Carlos only gave me the week off so I could get my beauty sleep and let my face pretty-up again for the customers."

Dan snorted harshly and shook his handsome head. "Beauty sleep? The fucker should look himself in the mirror. He needs to hibernate."

I rolled my eyes and shoved at his chest again, pushing him towards the door. "Go. You're gonna be late."

Sighing defeatedly, Dan zipped up his jacket and then turned to open the door. "Fine. I'll be back at—"

"Dawn, I know, now shoo!"

Finally, after one last look, Dan left and trotted down the stairs, reminding me he was only a phone call away. I rolled my eyes again and shut the door.

I needed a night alone. Dan had been breathing down my neck ever since the incident and it made me feel like I couldn't relax. He wanted me to talk to somebody about what I had been through, especially since I hadn't wanted to talk to him about it. In a flash, he had been slinging words around like 'trauma' and 'PTSD' as if he had a degree in psychiatry. He didn't think it was healthy that I was already walking around on the street again, unprotected, which had brought us to his next point of business; self-defense. Apparently I should learn that, too.

I honestly had to admit this whole thing had spooked him more than me if he thought I couldn't walk around on the street without knowing how to put my side-person into deadlock. I had grown up in New York and been through loads of shit; this was just adding to the pile. I wasn't scared of my own city and I didn't need to be coddled. Hence, his fussing had driven me a little nuts, even if he meant well.

It had happened. I had been one of the lucky ones that had gotten away. Others weren't as lucky, and if the lucky ones started locking themselves up, then where did that put the unlucky?

I was making a point of moving past it.

Now in the silence of my dark apartment, I finally felt the tension lift off my shoulders as I exhaled, sinking into the couch. I flipped on the TV and sipped my chamomile tea while watching some random reality show until I realized I wasn't really following it. My mind was somewhere completely else.

Guess on what.

I forced myself to to do something else. I decide to order takeout from my favorite Thai place and then went into the bathroom to turn on the taps to the bathtub. I let it fill up, threw in my favorite bath bomb and let it color the water in a light pink color. I then paid for the Thai food when it arrived, slipped out of my jammies and let myself sink into the tub, pinning my hair up first, then grabbing my takeout and digging in.

Much better. This was what I needed. A perfect distraction; The warm water relaxed my tight muscles and the food helped comfort my soul. The cherry blossom scent calmed my nerves and even allowed my head a break. Perfect.

Despite moving on from my assault, I had to admit it had been a couple of intense weeks. I still couldn't understand what had gotten me so obsessed with him; Tony, as I now knew his name was(or was it?). I didn't know why I'd been so caught up with him. Except...