Past: Here and Gone

Pidg was the only person in Konikoni that knew Reeda on an intimate level. Everyone else had known her as the beggar-battle girl. When she first came she tried working, but no one would offer her any services. It led her to battling on the streets for money and even begging. She didn't ask for much, but in the end she managed to live off what she had.

The way she and Pidg met was when she was battling a trainer in a double battle—Fang and Squeak, now a Pikachu, against a Haunter and Torracat.

"Fang, Hone Claws! Squeak, Agility to evade and distract!"

"Ember, Hugo!" the trainer shouted. "Gaspar, Shadowball!"

The Torracat aimed for Fang but was distracted by Squeak's speed, the Haunter desperately trying to hit it.

"Electroball on Torracat!" Reeda shouted. "Fang, Feint Attack on Haunter!"

They both landed their attacks with deadly accuracy and power. When the dust settled, the Torracat and Haunter had fainted.

The trainer returned them and paid up, complementing her battle style. She didn't say anything but left the field and returned to the docks. Pidg, curious, followed her and her pokemon.

There was an abandoned rowboat—one of the big metal kinds that hold up to 20 people—that was tied to the dock, in which Reeda lived in. It wasn't bad, but the jury-rigged roof, walls, and door didn't seem that stable to Pidge. There were two windows that he could see.

Squeak suddenly stopped, turned around, and leaped into a battled stance barking. Pidg froze, and tried to shush it but by then it was too late.

Reeda had already seen him.

"...You want to battle or something?" she asked. "If you want to I can't right now. It's too hot outside." She was wearing her brother's jacket over a black mid-drift shirt, a pair of fraying white jeans on her legs.

"Um..." Pidg blanked. "N-no... I just never saw you here before."

"Weird." Reeda shifted her posture, uncomfortable with the situation. "A lot of people know me here now... I'd have thought that everyone in the town knew or something."

"I work for the herbalist," Pidg said. "I don't really get out much."

"Huh."

Reeda suddenly started to sway on her feet, going down to one knee to steady herself. Squeak and Fang immediately at her side, trying to help her. Pidg came over and knelt in front of her. "Woah, you okay there?"

"I-I... haven't eaten in a few days... it's really hot out here..." She pulled the jacket on tighter.

Pidg helped her up. "Do you need any help?"

"I'm fine..."

Squeak, perched on his trainer's shoulder, nuzzled her cheek, obviously worried.

Pidg felt the same way.

"... Let's get you some food," he said. "My treat."

"I said—" Reeda's stomach roared, silencing her. "... Fine, I'll go."

They went into the restaurant, and Pidg let her order what she wanted along with food for her own pokemon. They ate together in silence for the most part as Reeda and her pokemon scarfed down food, life returning to them a little bit. After a while, Pidg decided to start up a conversation. "...so... how long have you been living here?"

"Why you asking?"

"I'm curious."

She leaned back, looking him up and down. "Three months... four?" She shrugged. "I don't really want to remember."