II

The next day, Louis came to school armed with a portable voice recorder and one of those little mirrors girls used to touch up their makeup, which he may or may not have stolen from Lottie's cosmetics bag. He was also dressed in all black to further get himself into spy-mode. And because he knew his bum looked good in black.

He walked to first period with Zayn, fully prepared for Operation-Take-Down-Harry-Styles.

When he told him what happened yesterday afternoon, Zayn snorted. "You? Threatened Harry Styles?"

"Yeah," Louis replied. "I was sick of him using girls."

"Mmm, I'm sure that's the reason." Zayn wrote his name on the attendance sheet once they got in the classroom.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Louis challenged. Just then, Harry walk through the door, holding his books carelessly in one arm. And he was wearing purple.

Well. That's different.

"Did you even hear me?" Zayn asked, pulling Louis from his daze.

"Wait, what?"

"I said," Zayn rolled his eyes, dropping his books on the desk, "Are you sure you're not doing it for another reason?"

"What other reason would that be?" Louis snapped, lowering his voice as their tech teacher walked in.

Zayn grinned. "I think you like him."

"What?!" Louis gasped, drawing the attention of half the class. He continued, whispering, "That's impossible. He's Harry, the biggest womanizer in this school. I could never like him."

"Your cheeks are all red," Zayn pointed out, pinching Louis's face.

"You're disgusting Zayn. I can't believe you would even think that. I should disown you right here and now. You're despicable," Louis replied, rolling his eyes. He wished their teacher would hurry up and start class already.

"Just you wait, Louis. You'll fall for the Styles charm," Zayn continued. "Just like everybody else."

Before Louis could respond, the bell rang, signaling the start of class. During the morning announcements which Louis ignored like usual, Zayn passed him one of the small, red flyers that Mr. Cowell was handing out.

Louis groaned as he scanned the paper.

Carnation Sales! It read. Cheerleaders are selling carnations during lunch every day this week for Valentine's Day! Send your friends a pink carnation to show how much you care! Send a white carnation to your favorite teacher! And send a red carnation to that special someone!

Louis crumpled up the paper and threw it on the ground. Great. He had almost forgotten about the stupid holiday until they had to go and ruin it.

Louis hated Valentine's Day. Absolutely loathed it.

There was just something so.. stupid about it all. The hearts, the flowers, the chocolates, the pet monkeys. It made him sick. In his opinion, love was supposed to be beautiful, and private. Not commercialized and meaningless and broadcasted to the entire planet.

Okay, maybe the fact that Louis had never actually had a Valentine had the slightest bit to do with it. But until then, he was perfectly okay with shoving an entire pepperoni and cheese pizza down his throat as he watched the entire season 2 of Lost.

Extra cheese.

***

"Hey, Tara, how's it going?"

Louis's ears perked at the sound of Harry's voice. They were in the shop, and Harry was leaned up against a table talking to the quietest (and only girl) in their class.

Oh, this was gonna be good.

"Oops. Forgot a screwdriver!" Louis said to no one in particular. He walked over to the tool rack, which was conveniently placed across from Harry and Tara. Louis silently thanked Mr. Cowell for his efficiency.

"So Tara," Harry leaned a bit closer to Tara, "Is that a vase your making for all the carnations you're gonna get?"

Louis slapped a hand over his mouth to keep from laughing. Harry remained oblivious, running his finger over the piece of wood Tara was focused on.

"Listen, H-Harry," Tara stuttered, still totally absorbed in her work. "I don't really think-"

"AHHHHHHHH! YOU POUNDED ME!" Harry screamed bloody murder, holding up his finger. You could literally see it pulsing as he ran around the room, searching for the first aid kit even though it wasn't even bleeding.

Tara's eyes were soaked as she ran after him, holding the hammer away from her like it was some kind of venomous snake. "I'm so sorry! You moved your finger at the last second! I didn't mean it, Harry!"

Mr. Cowell ran after them, screaming, "Everyone, back to the classroom! Now!"

The rest of the class groaned and quickly put away their projects. Back in the room, there was an awkward silence, except for the chaos they heard from the shop. Louis wiped some loose sawdust off his spy glasses and turned to Zayn, smirking.

"Apparently, even Tara would tap that."