[CHAPTER FOUR]

one and only, carl gallagher.
____________________

LOLA, DEBBIE AND I stared in awe at the pillow fort we made

LOLA, DEBBIE AND I stared in awe at the pillow fort we made. There was a blanket we taped on both sides of the wall, fairy lights strung on each end, and blankets and pillows strewn everywhere.

"This reminds me of when I was a kid," Lola sighed happily, her eyes crinkling at the edges as she smiled—something I always loved about her. "Good times."

"Same here," Debbie added, setting down one final pillow. "So, I was thinking that we play a drinking
game—"

"Holy fuck! Really?!" Lola exclaimed, the biggest grin forming on her face. I automatically burst out in laughter, because Lola never curses.

"Whoa, whoa. We're not getting drunk. We're gonna use vinegar." Debbie said sternly, causing Lola to frown. "Sorry, we don't have any alcohol left. Fuckin' Frank was thirsty."

"Vinegar? Sounds like fun," I blurted out.

"Well, I guess it's settled then," Debbie declared. "Nelly, do you mind getting the vinegar and some cups from downstairs?"

"Yeah, of course. I'll be back in a minute."

I rose up and out of Debbie's room, switching the light on as I climbed down the stairs. Making my way into the small kitchen, I opened the first cabinet which revealed a couple of wine glasses.

"Perfect. Now I just gotta find the vinegar," I told myself out loud. Damnit, I was talking to myself again.

Before I could open my mouth to speak again, I heard the front door open abruptly and slam shut. My eyes widened, my breath hitched. I was so startled, I didn't realize that the wine glasses had slipped out of my grasp, shattering on the kitchen floor. Fuck. Who the hell just came home this late at night?

"You know, you're gonna have to pay for that."

I sighed heavily, not bothering to turn to whoever I was talking to. "I'm really sorry about that, I swear. I'll pay back every dime."

A silence lingered in the room. I quickly broke it by clearing my throat. I ran a hand through my hair, finally turning around to meet the stranger's gaze. I immediately froze.

God damn, he was attractive.

I was several feet away from him, but I could still identify his sharp features. His perfectly slicked brown hair, plump lips, faint freckles. In a split second I was able to memorize his face, but I couldn't make out the color of his eyes.